not-front-rule

Where can I find a used/rebuilt transmission 97' E420

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

20 replies [Last post]
Hollywood_bob's picture

The tranny in my 97' E420 went yesterday. It is a bad time for this to happen as I have had no work for close to 4 months now. Where might I find a used/rebuilt transmission from a reputable place? What might I expect to pay?
I'll be contacting Eurospec ( my repair shop ) in Asheville, NC today to see what they have to say.
I'm less than enthusiastic to hear what the cost might be.

162,000mi. It started making a slapping, or popping noise
like there was a flat tire. I pulled over to check it out, no flat. Proceded on and it gave out bucking wildly as I went to take off. It made the noise in N & P at a stand still and went away under load until you tried to take off.

Sorry for any spelling errors.

Thank you in advance!

Share this
nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture
Re: Where can I find a used/rebuilt transmission 97' E420

Hollywood_bob;163181 wrote:
The tranny in my 97' E420 went yesterday. It is a bad time for this to happen as I have had no work for close to 4 months now. Where might I find a used/rebuilt transmission from a reputable place? What might I expect to pay?
I'll be contacting Eurospec ( my repair shop ) in Asheville, NC today to see what they have to say.
I'm less than enthusiastic to hear what the cost might be.

162,000mi. It started making a slapping, or popping noise
like there was a flat tire. I pulled over to check it out, no flat. Proceded on and it gave out bucking wildly as I went to take off. It made the noise in N & P at a stand still and went away under load until you tried to take off.

Sorry for any spelling errors.

Thank you in advance!

'97 was a transition year in which some early models might have had the old, mechanical model of transmission and some later ones have the electronic model. You can find out which yours has by entering your vin here:

http://old.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

You will see a field for the engine and transmission serial number. The transmission serial number should start with 722 and the next digit will tell you if it was electronic or mechanical...report back with the complete serial number of the transmission and maybe I can give you some advice. I'd suspect it is 722.6XX which is the electronic one.

rogo's picture

Just because it won't go is not conclusive evidence of a bad transmission. Even if it is, there are repairs that can be done without replacing the whole thing. You just need to have a reputable shop look at it and give you an estimate. Without seeing the car, my money is on a bad flex disk. Get the car up in the air and look at them. There are 2 of them. One at each end of the drive shaft.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Hollywood_bob's picture

Tranny # 722.625-00-145612

Thank you for your replies!!!!!!!!!!!!

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

It is the electronic version of the transmission. That somewhat limits your choices but is not all bad news.

If it makes the noise in park when the car is not moving I don't think it can be the flex disc but I do agree that you need to have it properly diagnosed before concluding it is toast. It could be the torque converter and not the tranny itself. Did you ever have the fluid and filter changed in it? I would not advise that you even run it now - have it flatbedded to the shop.

The worst case would be a tranny that would be in need of replacement with a rebuilt unit. Those can be had for around $2500 plus the cost of installation. You can probably find a salvaged used one for about half that. I would guess the cost to R&R it would be around $800 from an indy shop. If you go the dealer route expect to spend $5000-$6000 would be my guess.

Hollywood_bob's picture

Looking at it I didnt see any problem with the flex disks, not that I know what I'm looking for unless it were apparent. I'm going to have to get it to Asheville and over to Eurospec to have them look at it. Not that I'm ungrateful, but driving my friends Jeep Wrangler is not like driving my E420. Thank you all for your help and advice !!!!!!!!!!!! I'll keep you posted.

Bob

Former Member
BuyMBparts's picture
Atlanta, GA

Vehicles
1995 C280
1991 560SEC
1981 380SL
1969 280SEL

I have them them rebuilt with a torque converter and a 2 year unlimited mileage warranty. Please call for a quote.

Rusty Cullens buyMBparts, Inc.
1-800-741-5252
buyMBparts@gmail.com
www.buyMBparts.BIZ
www.buyEUROparts.BIZ
www.buyASIANparts.BIZ

merrill's picture
Austin, TX

Vehicles
1998 C230
1978 300D
1966 230SL

you can also get one from sun valley transmissions. $2,700 is the listed price for your car. (see link below)

They rebuilt the tranny on my 66 230 and I was very happy with the work.

http://www.mercedesnewparts.com/RenderScriptTemplate.epc?_cmd=epccat_buyerbrowse&category1id=MERCEDES-BENZ%40%40Mercedes-benz&categoriesid=TRANSMISSION%40%40Transmission&level3id=E420@@E420&mode=PA

Hollywood_bob's picture

I was lucky to find a local transmission shop that specializes in Mercedes Benz, the owner has had 20yrs with MB. Talked with him for 20min about MB transmissions.
He will rebuild it and also preform any updates as well as a 2yr unlimited mile warr. I'll let you know what happens.

Bob

Thanks again to all that replied as well as the people that PM'ed me!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hollywood_bob's picture

Well, planetary gears in pieces an 1/2" of metal shavings in the bottom. The strange thing is it never gave me a hint of a problem (no odd sound or bad shift)
Oh well my baby will be as good as new soon.

Bob

rogo's picture

It must have been the altitude that caused it. Glad to hear it's getting fixed. Sorry to hear about the possible second mortgage to pay for it.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

jtripp's picture
Babylon, NY

Vehicles
1996 S420 LWB
1995 S350

One of the radial needle bearings comes apart in the rear planetary and destroys the planetary carrier and the gears. The offending parts were redesigned somewhere around 2002-'03.

I have found this problem on a '99 S320 722.6

New York club member since 1976.

Continuous Mercedes ownership since 1964.

1993 300SD with '99 606 engine. 111,040 miles.
1994 S350   75,238 miles
1995 S350 148,124 miles.
1996 S420 with '99 606 engine  Sold
1999 S600  one of 14 imported  Sold 
1989 Bentley 8  Sold at 40,000 miles.

Hollywood_bob's picture

Thats what he said something about a bearing going and then the planetary gears coming apart. Quoted me worst case $2400

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

Yes, this is something that has been on the mercedesshop board too. I wonder if fluid and filter changes extend the life of this bearing or not? I ask this because there was a lady who bought a used E300 from a dealer and who had the same issue develop. The car had always been dealer serviced and they continued to service it after she bought it. They never performed a fluid change and the tranny suffered this failure at about 120K miles as I recall. She successfully argued, after we informed her that Mercedes recently changed their "fill for life" instructions, that not servicing the transmission caused the premature failure and as I recall the dealer and MBUSA made a significant concession on the price (something like 75%) of the cost of the replacement. Basically because she proved that the dealer didn't ever service it and it was now a recommended procedure they pretty much admitted to neglecting it and she got off only paying a small fraction of what it would have cost had she not known about the change in service procedure.

Perhaps they just goodwilled the repair because she bought a car at full retail and they wanted to preserve the relationship but it would seem that they at least accepted the fact that not servicing it lead to its early demise.

Hollywood_bob's picture

I'm 3rd owner. 1st was a lease, at the completion of the lease it was certified preowned and sold to someone in eastern NC who traded it in at a Ford dealership which is where I got it from. I paid $4200 for it because no Ford cust. wanted it. Except for the tranny its in excellent condition.

Graham's picture
Bath, ON

Vehicles
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
1998 E320 Sedan
1985 300DT
1972 350SL

nhdoc;163483 wrote:
Yes, this is something that has been on the mercedesshop board too.

Re the mercedesshop board . I have been away for a while, but when I tried to access it today, it was no longer there. Anyone know where it has gone?

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

Graham;163521 wrote:
Re the mercedesshop board . I have been away for a while, but when I tried to access it today, it was no longer there. Anyone know where it has gone?

They are apparently moving it today and it has been down for the past few hours...try again tomorrow.

Graham's picture
Bath, ON

Vehicles
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
1998 E320 Sedan
1985 300DT
1972 350SL

nhdoc;163527 wrote:
They are apparently moving it today and it has been down for the past few hours...try again tomorrow.

OK Thanks, will check again. It is a useful site.

Hollywood_bob's picture

This is the run down:
Master rebuild kit
converter
complete front and rear planetery gear assembly
input (drum)? assembly.
Valve body updated - breaker plate
Valve body accumulator kit
Filter
MB fluid
2 flex disks
Perform update mods., flush cooler lines, scan electronics, and road test
2yr warranty

Total $2500 breakdown $1000 labor - $1500 parts

rogo's picture

You did very well. With all the hard parts that had to be replaced, McTransmission would have charged twice that.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Hollywood_bob's picture

I want to say THANKS AGAIN! to everone that replied and PM'ed me. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!