not-front-rule

What do I do with this? 1984 190D 2.2 liter diesel engine

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
AnthroProfessor's picture
Glendale, CA

Vehicles
1992 190E
1985 300DT
1984 190D
1981 300D

I do have a 190D in my fleet, but this engine I am talking about is from a different car. My father and I bought this car for parts originally. I have already sold a lot of parts, used some on my car and towed away the stripped chasis.

The engine did not run well on testing. It was loud and shaking. I will keep the transmission. However, I am running out of space where I live so I need to let go of the block. I have NO CHOICE.

What can I do with this block? Will it be worth some coin for scrap metal? I really rather see a Mercedes guy have it. You know, someone that can use it in some way. I hate to see it destroyed.

I am all ears for any suggestions. I do not live in a house where I can simply store it in some shed in the yard. I live in an apartment so keeping something like this is very difficult. I kept it for many years already and cannot do more.
This is from a California car, so no rust belt stuff to worry about.

Share this
wbain's picture
Haymarket, VA

Vehicles
1965 220SEb
Re: What do I do with this? 1984 190D 2.2 liter diesel engine

Put an ad in Craigslist and be truthful about it. Someone could use it.

1965 220S, 1999 Volvo V70, 2002 FORD Crown Vic, 1972 350SL Euro 4 speed.

Glendale, CA

Vehicles
1992 190E
1985 300DT
1984 190D
1981 300D

Well, I guess I can put it on Craig's List and on the For Sale thread here even though I'd be giving it away free of charge (I just want to help more Mercedes 2.2 diesels).

Truth is the engine is not perfect and can't be popped under the hood. However, the block is good and can be rebuilt.

04 Diesel's picture

AnthroProfessor;150736 wrote:
Well, I guess I can put it on Craig's List and on the For Sale thread here even though I'd be giving it away free of charge (I just want to help more Mercedes 2.2 diesels).

Truth is the engine is not perfect and can't be popped under the hood. However, the block is good and can be rebuilt.

If only you were closer I would take it. I just bought a 1984 190D with motor problems.

Glendale, CA

Vehicles
1992 190E
1985 300DT
1984 190D
1981 300D

Wow, you dug up this old thread. That's good, as we should benefit from the past, present and future posts.

I managed to store that little engine block in an enclosed garage. It is sitting on a movable cart with wheels. I can always move it around easily now and made it so it does not have a large footprint while in the garage. I have recognized how valuable it is to me now. These blocks are no longer made, and I have one that has not been machined yet. The crankshaft is still intact. If I ever blow the engine in my 190D where the block was beyound repair, I will be glad I saved this extra block.

How is your engine acting up? Overheated? Kicked a piston? If your short block is intact and the crank turns, perhaps a cylinder head job alone will work wonders. I have done that to an old diesel engine. People were telling me to change the rings and pistons too while I am at it. I just stuck with the head job and the results were very good--I ended up saving so much money and my engine is still original at the same time (this was done before the Classic Center existed and when most machine shops did not use the Original Mercedes Parts when it comes to piston and rings).