not-front-rule

W124 Intermittent Wiper problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

10 replies [Last post]
UT_Tech's picture

The intermittent wiper on our '94 wagon has lost its mind. It stops in random places. I'm not sure if it's the switch inside the wiper or a defective relay. I hope it's not the motor contact, as I recall the motor assembly has to be replaced to fix that. I'll dig into it this weekend.

My question more general. Is this a common problem?

Steve

Share this
rogo's picture

Re: W124 Intermittent Wiper problem

You are looking at a potential $1,000 plus repair. Cut your losses now. If you don't have the repair manual for your car, get it now.

W124Service Library CDs are again available from Mercedes. They were not available earlier in 2007 as stocks had run out. As of 5/9/2007 there are 150 copies on hand and available for sale.

Current price is US$64.98 plus US$5.00 shipping plus applicable state sales tax.

To order call 1-800-367-6372. Ask for Mercedes part number P-2700-124-099.

After obtaining the CD, you should download Steve Nervigs Index for the Service CDs. It allows you to use the CDs easily without having to learn what Mercedes meant when they structured their proprietary product. You can download the index at: http://web.mac.com/dakota/iWeb/Mercedes/Indexes.html

Additional resources are available by joining the Mercedes Benz Club of America.
MBCA membership application is at: https://www.mbca.org/mbca/index.htm

Steve Nervigs Index contains a 7 page description, complete with high resolution photographs, on how to service your wiper transmission.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

UT_Tech's picture

Robert,

I have the service CD for this car but you've got me curious, how could this be a $1000 repair? Was I wrong, could it be something other than the wiper motor or the intermittent relay? Is this a common problem?

Steve

BENZITCH's picture

From what I have gathered, at least for w126's, the wacky stop where it wants, intermittent wiper is usually the turn signal stalk that goes bad.
Do the regular and the high speed wipers function normally? If so I'd be looking at the stick itself, at least first, especially if I were looking at a grand to fix it.
Just my opinion and what limited info I have on the 126 series.
Bruce

Thanks
Bruce
BENZITCH

rogo's picture

The car is a W124. It has a mono wiper. The mono wiper has a transmission. That is the thing in front of the windshield that the wiper arm is attached to. This is a non serviceable device and Mercedes replaces them when the grease drys out and the thing starts sticking and stopping.

Depending on whether it is a Bosch or SWF, price runs about $800 for the unit and the rest for labor.

Unless there is a different problem, I would download Nervigs Index and look at how easy it is to save the wiper transmission, just on principle. Nervigs Index is free.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

UT_Tech's picture

I don't think it's the trasnmission. The wiper works fine in normal mode and in intermittent mode the operating period is roughly OK, it just doesn't know where to stop. Also, the wiper does not know where to park when the wipers are shut off even in normal mode.

Steve

Former Member
Greg's picture
Takoma Park, MD

Vehicles
1994 E420
1986 420SEL

UT,

I'm having the same problem with the wiper on my w124, the wiper just likes to park in odd places, often only going through only a half cycle when in intermittent mode.

Did you solve your problem?

Thanks! -- Greg

UT_Tech's picture

Greg,

I sure did. I replaced the wiper motor, no luck, the wiper still stopped unpredictably. I then replaced the wiper control relay and that did it.

Steve

Former Member
Greg's picture
Takoma Park, MD

Vehicles
1994 E420
1986 420SEL

UT,

Thanks! Actually, I found a thread on another forum that suggested cleaning off the contacts on the relay (I just sprayed them with electrical cleaner)- that did the trick! Though I may have to replace that relay eventually.

I wonder if this is the problem with my rear window defroster as well.

Thanks again. -- Greg

UT_Tech's picture

Good call, the same relay drives both. The PN is 201 821 0247.

Former Member
ds190's picture
Baltimore, MD

Vehicles
1984 190D
1991 300TE
1993 300CE
1995 E300 Diesel
W124 Wiper transmission gear

FYI, the curved white gear inside the wiper "transmission" is available from Performance Products, about $100.

I just rebuilt the wiper on my 91 300TE after living for years with a wiper arm that did not extend or retract. Tear down revealed that not only had the grease turned into a solid lump, but the teeth on the white semi circular gear were all worn down.

Yes, there are plenty of used wiper units at the recycler places, but it did not make sense to me to potentially buy another unit with an almost worn out gear.

Thank you Performance Products.

Dave

E300 Diesel, 300CE Cab, 300TE, 190D