not-front-rule

W107 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
Mesquite's picture

I just bought a very nice '72 350SL with 64k miles on it, but when driving away from the transporter that delivered it, I could hear a grinding/screeching noise coming from the left rear wheel. I have determined that the noise was being made by the Left Rear Wheel Bearing.
Does anyone have experience in replacing the rear wheel bearing in a W107 chassis? If so, I would like to hear of any and all techniques and problems. Or, should this be left to a certified mechanic?

Thanks,
Bob

AttachmentSize
KIF_1761.JPG98.38 KB
Share this
George Murphy's picture
Oak Ridge, TN

Vehicles
1999 C43 AMG
Re: W107 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Mesquite;131732 wrote:
I just bought a very nice '72 350SL with 64k miles on it, but when driving away from the transporter that delivered it, I could hear a grinding/screeching noise coming from the left rear wheel. I have determined that the noise was being made by the Left Rear Wheel Bearing.
Does anyone have experience in replacing the rear wheel bearing in a W107 chassis? If so, I would like to hear of any and all techniques and problems. Or, should this be left to a certified mechanic?

Thanks,
Bob

It is a rather involved job that requires special tools and experience - best take it to a MB mechanic that knows how to do it AND has the special tools . . .

Regards,

George Murphy

MBCA Technical Director

865-482-9175

1999 C43 AMG

Mesquite's picture

Re: W107 Rear Wheel Bearing Replacement

Thanks George, I had about decided that but you have just confirmed my decision.

Thanks,
Bob