not-front-rule

W 210 central hydraulic reservoir

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

10 replies [Last post]
nisqu's picture

I posted this earlier on the Tech BB, Hoping someone here in W210 can help out. Thanks
Hello, I have a 2000 e320 4-MATIC wagon. I cannot find info on the central hydraulic reservoir in my owner's manual. What is the correct way to measure the fill level. Engine on or off?
I seem to be 1/2 inch below min fill level wth engine running on a level surface.
What is the procedure to top off, when I remove the cap there is a filter of some kind that seems to have fluid flowing through . I am guessing that I should put a funnel through the dipstick.
Should I worry about missing 1/2 inch of fluid in 30K miles?
I know one of you guys has done this a hundred times, What's up?

Share this
Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

Nick, I had asked the same question a few weeks ago and someone responded with: "As long as the fluid is visible in the tank the level is OK".

There is an indicator on the platic tank and also a mini-dipstick. They don't seem to correspond (fluid level) with one another. :confused:

My tank is kind of low, too. I just ordered a few litres of clean fluid and the filter and will freshen things up shortly.

nisqu's picture

Thanks Uber, I searched and didn't see that thread. My dipstick and tank don't agree either and I haven't translated the german on the dipstick yet, so I guess I'll just top up and drive on. Thanks for the response.

Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

My pleasure.

I'm going to go ahead and suction out my old fluid and put some fresh in along with the little filter. I'm big on taking care of fluids over the lifetime of the vehicle.

Former Member
herky210's picture
Pinehurst, NC

Vehicles
2000 E320 Sedan

Are you guys talking about the power steering fluid?

If not, what then - cause I'm not familiar with a hydraulic fluid reservoir.

Thanks.

nisqu's picture

Look for the large reservoir just behind the driver's side headlight.

Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

From what I can tell, the power steeing fluid and the load leveling suspension share the same reservoir and pump. I need a little fluid and it appears to be dealer-only and is a pricey $28/L !! WoW :o

Can anyone confirm that they are indeed the same reservoir? This is a non 4MATIC car.

Thanks.

(BTW, I cannot find a separate PS reservoir anywhere :rolleyes: )

Hyd Oil P/N:

hydoil.JPG
Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

OK, I've been to the dealer this morning and picked up this precious fluid. It's FUCHS Titan and has the correct MBz P/N on the front label. I'll try to grab a picture and post this evening.

I do believe the PS and the load leveling reservoirs are on in the same. I was servicing a 1998 E300D this morning and it has a conventional PS pump/reservoir. The config of the '02 wagon is entirely different.

The guy at the parts counter agreed they are one in the same reservoir...at least on our '02 non-4MATIC wagon.

Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

Fuchs Titan, reference MBz P/N on label.

fuchs titan.JPG
Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

Fuchs Titan

fuchs titanr.JPG
Former Member
uberwgn's picture
Medfield, MA

Vehicles
None

I spoke with MBz a few days ago about this. The fellow told me the pump is shared ("tandem pump") but the reservoirs are not. He tried to describe the location of the PS dipstick but I cannot locate it.