not-front-rule

Transmission slow to engage in reverse - 95 E320

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

11 replies [Last post]
Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Transmission slow to engage in reverse; after engaging it seems ok; drive engages quick and solid. I haven't worked on an AT in 30 years; does anyone know of manuals, books, videos, available for MB. My plan is to first determine if indeed a rebuild is called for. If so, I'll purchase a core tranny from a junk yard and attemt the rebuild; if all goes well I'll R&R the tranny in my car then sell the core from my car to the junk yard.

Share this
nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture
Re: Transmission slow to engage in reverse - 95 E320

Have you done a simple fluid and filter change on it to see if that helps?

Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Yes, but only as routine maintenance, I found significant sludge in the pan. The problem presented itself 2 weeks after the tranny service.

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

Is it just the first shift of the day that is slow or is it any time you put it into reverse now that is slow?

I'd have to assume you filled it correctly and followed the prescribed procedure for checking the level, right???

Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

I'm checking with the engine running in park, both hot and cold, and the level is good.

Actually, I went out this morning and it engaged properly. Last night, after a day of normal driving, the symptom was persistent and significant.

jtripp's picture
Babylon, NY

Vehicles
1996 S420 LWB
1995 S350

Look at the following posts:

http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=25009&highlight=722.3+slipping+reverse

You can get an OK 722.3 transmission manual by ATSG directly from ATSG or on e-Bay for less than $ 20.00.

If your transmission really chatters and slips backing uphill it is definitely the lip seal and worn frictions.

New York club member since 1976.

Continuous Mercedes ownership since 1964.

1993 300SD with '99 606 engine. 111,040 miles.
1994 S350   75,238 miles
1995 S350 148,124 miles.
1996 S420 with '99 606 engine  Sold
1999 S600  one of 14 imported  Sold 
1989 Bentley 8  Sold at 40,000 miles.

Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Thanks for the response. I breezed through the posts you reccommended; I'll read them thoroughly later and get the book from ATSG.

rogo's picture

About the only thing that will make sludge in that transmission is the clutch linings. Just to be clear, did you also drain the torque converter when you changed the fluid and filter? I am thinking about the possibility of resident sludge traveling from the torque converter to the pan and partially blocking the filter.

Excerpt from the manual is attached.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

trekkie1666's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
None

On the 722.6 Transmissions if you have a slow reverse engagement then 9 times out of 10 its the reverse piston seals getting hard from age. The only definate way to repair is to replace them. That requires removing the transmission and front pump assembly, the piston is attached to th back of the pump housing. the parts are very cheap for the job as low as $50 for all the seals , but the labor is usually between 8-12 hours depending on the shop and the car.

BY THE WAY DOING A TRANSMISSION FLUSH WILL NOT FIX ANY PREXSISTING CONDITIONS ON A TRANSMISSION OTHER THAN DIRTY FLUID. IF YOUR TRANS HAS PROBLEMS CHECK FLUID LEVEL FIRST .

A transmission flush is to prevent problems not cure them. Sometimes a flush on an already damaged trans can cause it to get worse or fail all together. Be careful.

If the condition of the fluid is burnt the damage is done and the life has been shortened. Flushing at this point will not fix it but might prolong it.

If the fluid is sludgy or milky pink its probably a sign of water contamination from the radiator and trans cooler, a very common problem. Find the water contamination source, fix it and then flush to prolong its life.

In all my years as a tech a flush has NEVER fixed a trans problem, only prevents them.

Andrew

Feed it kraut not rice.........
1994 E36 coupe w/ headers and 5spd 305hp
2002 E55 w/ supercharger and headers 550hp
2003 SL500 w/ supercharger and headers 450hp
1963 300SEb under construction.....

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Andrew, a 95 E320 is a .3, not a .6.

Kestas's picture

David, try navigating through this link. It should have diagrams of your transmission. I'm not sure how much it'll help you though.

http://www.peterschmid.com/

trekkie1666's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
None

David, you ar correct, I had a brain fart! Been working on 722.6 and 722.9's all this month kinda brain locked , lol

This is in fact a 722.3 as you said.

The Reverse seals would be easy to change if the trans is removed, just need a VERY clean work area and some patience and common knowledge. The hardest part is disassembling the reverse piston assembly. A cheap clutch spring compressor can usualy be rented from a local parts store, if not take it to a trans shop and have them remove the piston and install the new seals and reassemble it. After wards you can reassemble the trans.

If you proceed with this operation let me know and I'll send you the destructions... I mean instructions to do this job in full.

Andrew

Feed it kraut not rice.........
1994 E36 coupe w/ headers and 5spd 305hp
2002 E55 w/ supercharger and headers 550hp
2003 SL500 w/ supercharger and headers 450hp
1963 300SEb under construction.....