not-front-rule

RUST Found on ALL DOORS W210

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

16 replies [Last post]
mark cummins's picture

I Was washing my car today and Found RUST Peeling off when I was Drying the car with compressed air...(TO PREVENT RUST)
All four doors have MAJOR Rust...at the top where the weatherstrip sits in the door channel...Rusted Through....
I Bought It ..The W210 Wagon NEW in 2000 and its NEVER Been in the Snow...And Its Detailed Weekly! :mad:

Share this
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi Mark sorry to hear of your rust problem ,though I am surprised as I thought it would be less of a problem in your part of the world as your weather is so much better than ours!?.
This problem of rust on the W210 is very common here and it was for that reason that I decided against buying this model of mercedes:( .
On the mboc forum here there are lots of members who have had this problem and some of them are getting there cars fully sorted by the MB dealership-free!!
But good luck with what ever you do about this problem,

Regards Andy:)

mark cummins's picture

Hi Andy,

Thanks for the reply!..Could you please send me a link to the MBOC site re the rust..I Would like to have some proof when I Have a TALK with the Mercedes DSM rep!

Mark

lyonstexas's picture
Mc Kinney, TX

Vehicles
1992 300SE

One note that may apply to your rust problem is the location of the car. I had a 1970 El Camino that I purchased from the original Newport Beach owner and was surprised to find rust in a number of places where the moisture from fog or dew would collect or runoff. I was told that cars near the salt water were affected by the salinity of this moisture. Since you are able to blow trapped water from under the weatherstrip, it is plausible that dew or fog moisture is collecting there and sitting long enough for the salt to work.

Tim

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hi Mark sorry but the MBOC site would not let me post a link for you as to gain access to the site you have to have a password to be able to log in each time.

Tim I understand what you are saying mate but in this day and age the car makers, especially such a prestige brand should be able to protect the bodywork enough so that these problems dont happen,especially when you consider how much these things cost to buy.

But I think its more down to slipping standards due to cost cutting that causes these problems because as I'm sure most will aggree they dont make em like they used too!!,
My old 1991 W201 190E that I sold last year had a high mileage and yet not a single rust spot-bodywork was perfect!!.
Anyway good luck Mark and dont take no for an answer!!.

Tom Hanson's picture
Arrowhead Farms, CA

Vehicles
1970 300SEL 6.3

Mark,
I used to live over by Huntington Harbor, and the car I had at the time was detailed so heavily you could eat off of it. The back window rusted out at the lower corners within 6 months.

Tom Hanson
Supervisor, Parts Operations
Mercedes-Benz Classic Center USA
MBUSA, LLC
thomas.hanson@mbusa.com
949 598-4842 direct.

Prior MB cars: 2010 ML350 Bluetec, 2003 C320 Coupe, 1986 300SDL, 1971 300SEL 6.3, 1973 450SE, 1959 220S, 2011 C300

vince's picture
Chesapeake, VA

Vehicles
2014 ML350
1999 E430

I had the same problem on my 1988 300TE (yes, a 124 chassis), which was a California resident. Ever since then I always have lifted the weatherstrips on our C280 and E430 when I wash the car. No rust yet. My guess is that it is caused by flaws in the coating system, likely applied by robots. That channel would be a tough spot to coat right.

Vincent Canepa Member since 1973 1999 E430, Smoke Silver w/Parchment full leather  2014 ML350 4Matic Diamond Silver w/Auburn Brown-Black leather

mark cummins's picture

Update on Rust repair

The Dealer Ordered All New Doors and Weatherstripping to start the job....Will Have the Front Spring mounts inspected as I Was Told They rust also...

nisqu's picture

rust on all 4 doors

Hello All, I'm a new member and I own a 2000 E320 4-Matic wagon with 19000 miles. I checked my doors after reading this thread and I too have rust on all 4 doors. One door is serious and the other three are just beginning to rust. My car is 3 months past it's warranty, but anyone with any knowledge would know that the rust started long before warrantee expiration. My car has always been garaged and hand washed.
My dealer has denied me any relief, the repair estimate is $2600.
I guess two things really disappoint, first the service manager at Manhattan Mercedes Benz has never spoken to me and will not take my calls, and no one at corporate is willing to listen to me. I'm shocked that they aren't interested to at least see why such a thing would happen to a low mileage, well maintained car.

Any suggestions as to how I should proceed? I've asked that they consider at least fixing the one door with the most serious problem, they've ignored me.

I'd like it if someone could direct me to the engineer or exec in charge of quality, I'd like to write him and see if it gets me anywhere. Any suggestios as to whom I should contact or how to proceed are appreciated, the winter is coming and the salt will be murder. Thanks

mark cummins's picture

Call MBUSA and make a report!...This IS a known Problem!!!!
Mercedes needs to stand behind the cars...This rust problem is a Major defect on the Primer process..and MBUSA Should handle this..Try another dealer ....The dealer gets paid from Mercedes as this should be GOODWILL...Did this dealer even talk to a DSM or pick up the phone and at least TRY?

http://forums.mercedesclub.org.uk/viewtopic.php?p=29678#29678

This should help...

lyonstexas's picture
Mc Kinney, TX

Vehicles
1992 300SE

Nisqu,

If you are willing, a suit filed in small claims court for an amount under $5000.00 may wake the dealer up. Filing fees are minimal (under $100.00) ....just document thoroughly.

tim

nisqu's picture

I did call 800 for merc and was told that I could not speak to a DSM because the service manager at the dealer is the ultimate authority on these matters. How can I get in touch with the DSM?

nisqu's picture

I did call 800 for merc and was told that I could not speak to a DSM because the service manager at the dealer is the ultimate authority on these matters. How can I get in touch with the DSM?

mark cummins's picture

Call MBUSA and get a Name for a Rep...Then Send him a Letter Via Certified mail...Or Try another dealer...The dealers act like its there Money when in fact they get paid from Mercedes for goodwill...But NOT as much as a Retail (CUSTOMER PAY) sale.
I Would NOT give in to the dealer games...
Then Hit the Media..Autoweek..Car and Driver...Etc..
A Little write up re the Customer Service Goes a Long way!
Or Get a Lawyer and Let him have at it!

nisqu's picture

Thanks Mark. I'v gotten hold of a list of managers and such at MBUSA and they will ALL be hearing from me. I also found out that my dealer is a company store, so there is no owner to contact, but I wiil get a letter to the Gen Mgr.
I'm a very patient and gentlemanly sort, but it really gets me that no one will return my calls. You would think that a consult with the service mgr is normal when the repair estimate is $2600.
Very disappointing that no one over there is even curious about why this would happen. I'll let you know what happens going forward. Thanks again.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by andyman
Hi Mark sorry but the MBOC site would not let me post a link for you as to gain access to the site you have to have a password to be able to log in each time.

Tim I understand what you are saying mate but in this day and age the car makers, especially such a prestige brand should be able to protect the bodywork enough so that these problems dont happen,especially when you consider how much these things cost to buy.

But I think its more down to slipping standards due to cost cutting that causes these problems because as I'm sure most will aggree they dont make em like they used too!!,
My old 1991 W201 190E that I sold last year had a high mileage and yet not a single rust spot-bodywork was perfect!!.
Anyway good luck Mark and dont take no for an answer!!. Hi Andyman, thanks for your english perspective. Thanks also for your glowing comments about your 190E. I have a 1991 190E that I just adore and that I plan to keep forever. Mine's an angel and never any trouble. I agree that 190E's are great MB's.

mark cummins's picture

Update on Rust repairs

Well My Wagon has been at the House of Imports Body shop for OVER Six weeks and The car is still NOT Correct..
The Replacement Doors are Wavey dont match the rest of the car.and the car is covered with Overspray!
Compound in the sunroof seal/door seals and most all gaps.
This is Substandard for any shop let alone a MB Dealer Body shop
I Would NOT Recommend The House of Imports Body Shop !!!
I have Called MBUSA/BBB/BAR/and Will get a Estimate from a REAL body shop to have the wagon repaired..the Correct way... Then File Small Claims...What a Joke !!!