not-front-rule

Replacment Keys for 190E

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
boazrg's picture

I just bought a 190E - My third MB, and my first 190E. I only have one key. The bandits at the local MB dealer will make me more keys for ninety dollars a piece, but this seems pretty steep for a key. Is there an alternative to the dealers for obtaining keys?

Share this

boazrg

Tom Hanson's picture
Arrowhead Farms, CA

Vehicles
1970 300SEL 6.3
Re: Replacment Keys for 190E

Contact me at the office for the real scoop on keys.

Tom Hanson
Supervisor, Parts Operations
Mercedes-Benz Classic Center USA
MBUSA, LLC
thomas.hanson@mbusa.com
949 598-4842 direct.

Prior MB cars: 2010 ML350 Bluetec, 2003 C320 Coupe, 1986 300SDL, 1971 300SEL 6.3, 1973 450SE, 1959 220S, 2011 C300

AnthroProfessor's picture
Glendale, CA

Vehicles
1992 190E
1985 300DT
1984 190D
1981 300D

I would trust talking to Tom about keys. However, I just want to add something to this conversation since I have dealt with this too.

You can get a key copied for just a few bucks at a hardware store or locksmith depending if they have a blank. The dealer usually charges like $30 as Don stated. I bought one for my 190 fairly recently.

The key from Mercedes has the logo on it and is made of hard metal. It will not leave filings in your ignition lock or door lock. Its actually better in the long run. The aftermarket copies from locksmiths or hardware stores have a brass metal which will leave filings in the lock of your doors and ignition, eventually causing them to fail. In some cases, damage to the ignition lock disabled the vehicle and it required a lot of disassembly and muscle work to take the old ignition lock out. We are talking about lots of drilling. Not a pretty sight.

So, just get a factory Mercedes key or two. It will not cost $90. I am sure Tom has taken care of you by now. What I did for my cars is that I ordered a master key and made sure I had a valet key that I keep in the glove compartment for those occasions. Get a nice Mercedes key chain while you are add it for each key. It adds a nice touch of class.

My 2 cents worth.

Former Member
Altered States's picture
Coulee Dam, WA

Vehicles
None

Does anyone know about these flip style keys?

[URL="http://cgi.ebay.de/Funkfernbedienung-Mercedes-W124-W126-W129-W201-IP60_W0QQitemZ200404944841QQcmdZViewItemQQptZAutoteile_Zubehör?hash=item2ea910c7c9#ht_2605wt_941"]FLIP STYLE KEYS WITH REMOTE[/URL]

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E

The key blanks on the "flip key" have to be cut by your local locksmith and are typically made like any other aftermarket key. The control unit is wired in conjunction with the vacuum lock system. Most modules have options for either blinking the lights or a separate horn to confirm locking and unlocking.

The Biggest Bargain from Germany Since Werner Von Braun

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E

Don350SDL;179262 wrote:
It seems to be just another aftermarket remote system, these are widely available.

Really? I guess so, since they're being sold on eBay.

The Biggest Bargain from Germany Since Werner Von Braun

Former Member
Altered States's picture
Coulee Dam, WA

Vehicles
None

There were some others on German ebay. But I like the general flip key setup as it looks identical to the jetta tdi flip key with remote entry.

Ok being it was spoken about the actual real mercedes key blank, having a high grade metal used, I am curious if that can be adapted over to the same type of key design for the keyless entery.

Former Member
mrearlygold's picture
Port Charlotte, FL

Vehicles
1993 190E
I just bought a 190e and it

I just bought a 190e and it came with the set of original keys in the mercedes benz keyholders. Great originality.

The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good things is my religion. Thomas Paine ( Godfather of the American Revolution)