not-front-rule

Oil Change on a C280

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

12 replies [Last post]
Former Member
Jake529's picture
Nashua, NH

Vehicles
1999 SLK230 Kompressor

When I bought my C280 from the Volvo Dealership in Jan, they changed the oil for me. The mileage had just turned 109,000 on Friday and it was time for a oil and filter change. Went to my Benz dealer and asked them how much for an oil change? $95.00. Walked over to the parts department and bought a oil filter cartirdge for $12.50(thank you MBCA discount). Also asked what viscosity for the oil. 5W-40 synthetic. 9.5 Quarts. Went to Pep boys bought 2 gallons of Sunoco brand oil $40.00 and two Castrol quarts $14.50. Drove the car home and changed it in my garage. Took all of 20 minutes. Cleaned up the belly pan and wiped down all the suspension parts. Had fun. And it was cheaper doing it myself.

Jake
MBCA Members 2 years.

Share this

jherzler's picture

Re: Oil Change on a C280

Jake529;196721 wrote:
When I bought my C280 from the Volvo Dealership in Jan, they changed the oil for me. The mileage had just turned 109,000 on Friday and it was time for a oil and filter change. Went to my Benz dealer and asked them how much for an oil change? $95.00. Walked over to the parts department and bought a oil filter cartirdge for $12.50(thank you MBCA discount). Also asked what viscosity for the oil. 5W-40 synthetic. 9.5 Quarts. Went to Pep boys bought 2 gallons of Sunoco brand oil $40.00 and two Castrol quarts $14.50. Drove the car home and changed it in my garage. Took all of 20 minutes. Cleaned up the belly pan and wiped down all the suspension parts. Had fun. And it was cheaper doing it myself.

Jake
MBCA Members 2 years.

Hi Jake,

The oil change is an easy DIY and good for you. Just remember that the benefit you get from a good dealership or independent shop is an overall look at your car and suggestions for preventive maintenance. At the age and mileage, rubber starts coming to mind- flex discs and bushings to name a few. Some are easy DIY others are not.

Regards,

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Don't be fooled into thinking that all the $95 was for an oil change. Ask the service manager what else is involved, I think you'll be surprised.

On the other hand, I downloaded my maintenance sheet from MBUSA and just do everything it calls for (a lot of checks, fluid topoffs, and lubrication) plus go over everything carefully. I actually enjoy changing the oil and looking things over, not to mention my labor is cheaper.

Former Member
ALUEB's picture

Vehicles
1979 450SLC

What year is your C280? My 99 C280 calls for oil changes every 10K miles, there is a countdown mileage device built into the dash. Also, I noticed you bought two different brands of oil. I wouldn't do that, as not all syn oils are the same. I've used Mobil 1 5w30 for the past 8 years on my car and had no problems. I also change my oil every 5K miles, as I think 10K is a stretch. There is a list of approved oils for MB cars, do a search on the board it might be here. :smilie:

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

Al - unless you are doing an oil analysis or are going beyond the time interval for oil changes, you are very likely wasting both resources and money by changing at 5000 miles. I was really leery myself about going 10,000 miles on my '99 diesel, but after doing an oil analysis, I was convinced that the car can not only easily make 10,000 miles between changes, but can go longer if I wanted to. With a gasoline car like yours, you should have no issue going at least 10,000 miles.

Jake - as mentioned above, there is more to that service than just an oil change. Most everything else is just a check this and inspect that, but those are still things that should be done by someone in order to avoid bigger issues going down the road..

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles

Former Member
Jake529's picture
Nashua, NH

Vehicles
1999 SLK230 Kompressor

Thanks for all the head up on the oil change suggestions. I would have had the dealer change the oil but I wanted to get under there and see what was involved. This car is going to get driven hard in the next few months, back and forth to Logan Airport. The next oil change I will have Hollaway do it. Those guys really do a good job at looking things over. The car calls for 5W-40 synthetic, and that is hard to find on some shelves. Yesterday the car got treated to a number 20 window tint for the back windows and rear window. Customers like not to be seen....:eek:

Jake

Former Member
Jayhawk's picture
Lawrence, KS

Vehicles
2000 S500
1970 280SL

Good luck, but most oil changes these days do not require "getting under there." It all happens under the hood. :yes:

Gene Ramp

• Midwest At Large
  • Content Manager
  • Content Editor
  • Forums Administrator
  • News Manager
  • Social Networks Manager
syracusea's picture
Manhasset, NY

Vehicles
2014 C300 4MATIC
2009 E350 4MATIC Wagon
2009 C300 4MATIC

Using two differnt oils cant be good for the car. And I am sure a dealer/independent does more than change the oil and filter. 10,000 miles is a good time to do it or when the seasons change. Depending where you live that is.

-Andrew 2009 NYC-Long Island Section

My Car: 2009 C300 4Matic Luxury Sedan

My Dads Car: 2014 C300 4Matic Luxury Sedan

My Moms car: 2009 E350 4Matic Station Wagon
              (soon to be my brothers car)

Keeping it in the family.

vince's picture
Chesapeake, VA

Vehicles
2014 ML350
1999 E430

What year? The factory approved service products list does not show 5W-40 for the gas cars from 1998 on.

Vincent Canepa Member since 1973 1999 E430, Smoke Silver w/Parchment full leather  2014 ML350 4Matic Diamond Silver w/Auburn Brown-Black leather

Former Member
ALUEB's picture

Vehicles
1979 450SLC

Jake529;196863 wrote:
Thanks for all the head up on the oil change suggestions. I would have had the dealer change the oil but I wanted to get under there and see what was involved. This car is going to get driven hard in the next few months, back and forth to Logan Airport. The next oil change I will have Hollaway do it. Those guys really do a good job at looking things over. The car calls for 5W-40 synthetic, and that is hard to find on some shelves. Yesterday the car got treated to a number 20 window tint for the back windows and rear window. Customers like not to be seen....:eek:

Jake You wrote that you are going back and forth to Logan, so I assume U live in MA. Aftermarket window tint is illegal in Ma. A friend of mine had is car done and had to have it all removed after he flunked inspection due to the aftermarket tint. I flunked last year because I had frames on my license plates. Had to remove them to pass. :Thumbs up:

Former Member
Jake529's picture
Nashua, NH

Vehicles
1999 SLK230 Kompressor

I am based in New Hampshire. As long as you don't tint the front windows no problem. And I am concerend NONE of you noticed that I put in a quart more oil than the car called for. I thought the owners manual said 9.5 quarts with filter its 8.5 quarts. The car hadn't been driven for a week after I changed the oil. Got in and was going down the highway. The chime came on OIL HIGH..........Drove back to the shop and checked the oil and sure enough it was over. Drained the oil out refilled it with two gallon jugs and .5. Now its perfect....

Jake

Former Member
ALUEB's picture

Vehicles
1979 450SLC

I have a friend who bought a new SUV, he had all the windows tinted, except the windshield and flunked Mass State Inspection and had to have all the tint taken off. It cost him close to $800 to have it put on and $400 to have it taken off. I talked to a friend of my son who is a local police office and he said unless the the tint is factory applied, it is illegal in this state. Same with mufflers, they will pass most aftermarket muffler however, if the tech doing the test thinks it is too loud he can flunk it, strictly a subjective opinion here. I doubt if U have a Cherry bomb muffler you will pass. Also you cannot have any license plate covers on your plates they flunked. I had a fast land transponder on the front license plate, as the window ones didn't work in my C280 do to the electronics in the rear view mirror. I had to get a letter from the motor vehicles saying it was OK for a license plate mounted transponder.:smilie:

Former Member
Jake529's picture
Nashua, NH

Vehicles
1999 SLK230 Kompressor

Living in Nashua, we have alot of Mass Ho*es driving around here in there beatup cars. I am not sure what part of Mass you live in but around here, Groton Pepperal, Ayer, the cars are so beat up I don't how they pass inspection in Mass. If the law was enforced the state police would have a field day in the limo pool at logan about tinted windows. Even thoght most of the cars have LV plates still.....

Jake:eek: