not-front-rule

just bought a 1984 190d

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

15 replies [Last post]
bro frank's picture

now i'm not so sure i did a good thing.

car started easy in 18f weather. good thing. man trany shifts good.

but

electricals are all messed up. turn sigs don't work. replaced haz switch and had smoke come from pass side of dash. fan cluthc doesn't engage. horn doesn't work. tach doesn't move either. found 4 fuses out. Cry baby
replaced all the blown fuses. still no fixes.

how complicated is this beast.

should i shot myself the car or both.

Share this
MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
Re: just bought a 1984 190d

The W201 isn't particularly complicated, being one of the last generations before the tight integration of electronic automotive control systems. From your descriptions, sounds like you could use a really good digital VOM and these two publications:

Electrical Trouble Shooting Manual (ETM) and the W201 Chassis and Body Service Manual. I'll PM you a link that may help.

The Biggest Bargain from Germany Since Werner Von Braun

AnthroProfessor's picture
Glendale, CA

Vehicles
1992 190E
1985 300DT
1984 190D
1981 300D

Hang in there Frank. I have the exact same car and they are quite reliable and still fuel efficient even with today's standards.

You inherited another person's accumulated problems. Just get yourself the literature and digital VOM like MTI suggested and go step by step. One by one, you need to make sure every component is working order. This is not costly, it may be just time consuming.

This is a project that a home mechanic/weekend warrior can tackle. Just be patient and do things a little at a time--you will be pleased with the progress as things start to work again.

FC Hecker's picture

I have the factory manuals, Electrical Troubleshooting, Chassis and Body, Tempmatic Climate Control and Engine Service 601.

climate control manual.JPG diesel engine manual.JPG electrical troubleshooting manual.JPG

FC Hecker
1984  380SE    167k miles

FC Hecker's picture

The factory Chassis and Body manual, as well as the previous three, available for purchase.

Fred

MB chassis and body manual.JPG

FC Hecker

bro frank's picture

thanks everyone for the encouragement. the goal with the purchase of this car was to not have another project. i already have 3 of those that i need to finish. hence the disapointment. no it doesn't look expensive just itme consuming. so it will sit by the side lines until i can finish an engine swap on a dead 240d and major repairs on the wagon 300tdt.

Robby Ackerman's picture
Denbigh, VA

Vehicles
None

Frank

Good to hear from you again. I love my '84 & '85 190s and everything electrical works on them -- cars have been very reliable. I have a neighbor with a 190E 2.6 that just about everything works and I suspect he'd give it up for $500. He's not driving it and the inspection has expired.

1960 190 SL
1983 300 D (WVO)
1984 190E 2.3-16 / Mosselman Turbo System & Dinan suspension
1984 190E 2.3-16 / Delsing Motorsport suspension
1992 500SL

04 Diesel's picture

FC Hecker;186368 wrote:
I have the factory manuals, Electrical Troubleshooting, Chassis and Body, Tempmatic Climate Control and Engine Service 601.

How much for the engine service manual?

FC Hecker's picture

How about US$75 for the engine service manual?

Fred

FC Hecker

bro frank's picture

okay. went and had car inspected at state inspection. failed for lighting issues. noted it needed struts and shocks.
got a guy that says he can solve the lights and horn thing fo 150 so I might let him have at it.

the other hang up is theres a lot of play in the steering. the car wanders almost dangerously. it handles worse than a gocart. I can change lanes by changing gears. can I tighten it up in the box like my w123?

next issue is the throttle hangs up. mess's with your head when you hit the clutch. is there a 'favorite' hang up spot on these cars where the throttle links 'normally' get hung up at?
500$ hhhmmmm. let me get rid of the extra sd and the extra 300d and the other 300sd and what would I do with a gasser except get speeding tickets? :-)

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Steering: If it wanders, suspect something loose and in need of replacement. Get under there and shake the bars going from one wheel to the other. Any play means have it looked at. But yes, the 201 steering box adjusts like your 123 did.

Lubricate the throttle linkage with automatic trans fluid, be generous. There are maybe a dozen little ball/socket joints, try to get them all, that should do it. Worst case is a new throttle cable.

04 Diesel's picture

bro frank;198765 wrote:
okay. went and had car inspected at state inspection. failed for lighting issues. noted it needed struts and shocks.
got a guy that says he can solve the lights and horn thing fo 150 so I might let him have at it.

the other hang up is theres a lot of play in the steering. the car wanders almost dangerously. it handles worse than a gocart. I can change lanes by changing gears. can I tighten it up in the box like my w123?

next issue is the throttle hangs up. mess's with your head when you hit the clutch. is there a 'favorite' hang up spot on these cars where the throttle links 'normally' get hung up at?
500$ hhhmmmm. let me get rid of the extra sd and the extra 300d and the other 300sd and what would I do with a gasser except get speeding tickets? :-)

Check your ball joints, I had a 1986 300E that did that. After new ball joints all was good.

bro frank's picture

accelorator linkage: padal
was sticking ander the interior trim piece that comes down from the dash over the pedals. couldn' gind what it hooked to so I took it out. problem solved. will find one with no broken parts and replace.

ball joints: how hard are the lower ball joints to replace. do I need any special tools?

front and rear shocks/struts: again are there any tricks or trapps to watch for and any special tools?

04 Diesel's picture

bro frank;200616 wrote:
accelorator linkage: padal
was sticking ander the interior trim piece that comes down from the dash over the pedals. couldn' gind what it hooked to so I took it out. problem solved. will find one with no broken parts and replace.

ball joints: how hard are the lower ball joints to replace. do I need any special tools?

front and rear shocks/struts: again are there any tricks or trapps to watch for and any special tools?

Its not a bad job, you will need a ball joint press.

bro frank's picture

what about the front springs, r they going to need restraining? it look like you have to take the shock lose top get at the ball joint won't the sping take off?

04 Diesel's picture

bro frank;201132 wrote:
what about the front springs, r they going to need restraining? it look like you have to take the shock lose top get at the ball joint won't the sping take off?

When I did mine I didnt do anything to the spring, just be carefull so it doesnt jump out.