not-front-rule

fuel filter on slk 230

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

11 replies [Last post]
Maz
Former Member
Maz's picture
Vienna, NJ

Vehicles
2001 SLK230

Is it easy to change the fuel filter on my slk 230, and where is it located? Also how often should it be changed? Thank you

Share this
Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D
Re: fuel filter on slk 230

Others can tell you the rest, but your owner's manual will tell you how often.

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

You're likely to need a special tool for removing/installing CLIC clamps.

Procedure and tool requirements are in service DVD available from dealer or at 800.for.merc

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

The filter is in the rear, next to the fuel pump under a plastic cover on the right side of the car. If you have a lift or ramps it is easy to change. You can remove the plastic cover after removing three or four nuts, loosen one bolt which holds the filter and pump on a cradle and that will allow the filter to slide out.

If it is original the clamps that M-B used from the factory are not re-usable. If you grab the crimp with a good pair of pliers and twist it the old clamp will snap apart and you can pull the hoses off. BE AWARE that the system will be pressurized and some fuel will spray out, then will drain from the filter and lines. You'll lose about a pint or so. You can then slide out the filter, slide in the new one and replace the crimp style clamps with standard fuel line hose clamps of the correct size (IIRC the fuel lines are 7mm). The filter isn't cheap (about $40 if I recall) but is only recommended to be replaced every 60K miles I think.

Good luck...it is not a bad job at all, just watch for fuel spray. Yes, I did this job recently, that's why I remember it pretty clearly.

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

I agree not in older cars, but in newer ones (diesels) Mercedes specifically forbids use of any fuel filter hose clamps except same as those installed at factory.

I'll replace CLIC clamps with same whenever found.

FWIW

PS: Here's a movie showing CLIC clamp removal/installation: http://www.hazet.de/video/VEN15.mpg

merrill's picture
Austin, TX

Vehicles
1998 C230
1978 300D
1966 230SL

I replaced the filter on my 98 c 230. the dealer sold me the filter and 2 regular hose clamps.

If your car is similar to the c 230 the tips below can help

open the fuel filler cap to release the pressure, that helps.
typically the plastic cover has 3 nuts that hold it on, remove the inner most and the panel can be pulled down enough to gain access.

as far as the clamp that holds the filter just loosen the phillips screw for the large filter clamp just a little then filer can be removed.

pay close attention to the direction arrow on the old filter, be sure to install new the same way

the first time takes the longest, the second time took me about 7 minutes.

get the mb cd for your car it is very helpful and has all the info you need
I think the replacement interval is 60,000 miles

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

merrill;120075 wrote:
I replaced the filter on my 98 c 230. the dealer sold me the filter and 2 regular hose clamps.

If your car is similar to the c 230 the tips below can help

open the fuel filler cap to release the pressure, that helps.
typically the plastic cover has 3 nuts that hold it on, remove the inner most and the panel can be pulled down enough to gain access.

as far as the clamp that holds the filter just loosen the phillips screw for the large filter clamp just a little then filer can be removed.

pay close attention to the direction arrow on the old filter, be sure to install new the same way

the first time takes the longest, the second time took me about 7 minutes.

get the mb cd for your car it is very helpful and has all the info you need
I think the replacement interval is 60,000 miles

Yeah, I forgot about the directional arrow...you want to make sure the outlet side goes to the engine and the feed side to the pump. The pressure in the system is not from the tank but is stored between the pump and the fuel pressure regulator so removing the cap doesn't really help that. All you need to do is carefully wiggle the first hose as you remove it to bleed off the pressure. The approved procedure is to bleed it off from the schrader valve under the hood on the fuel rail, but that is extra work.

As for the use of conventional hose clamps, they are far and away superior to the disposable ones M-B uses at the factory. Those mickey mouse clamps are used for two reasons...they are fast to install and cheap. Also, they probably take the guesswork (i.e. skill) out of tightening them so they get a more uniform clamping pressure from car to car.

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

nhdoc;120112 wrote:
As for the use of conventional hose clamps, they are far and away superior to the disposable ones M-B uses at the factory. Those mickey mouse clamps are used for two reasons...they are fast to install and cheap. Also, they probably take the guesswork (i.e. skill) out of tightening them so they get a more uniform clamping pressure from car to car.

And, it's impossible for them to come loose and/or be improperly tightened--unlike the farm equipment that is screw-type clamps!

On the new diesels, there's 20,000 psi through the system.

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

lkchris;120118 wrote:
And, it's impossible for them to come loose and/or be improperly tightened--unlike the farm equipment that is screw-type clamps!

On the new diesels, there's 20,000 psi through the system.

I'd agree that a special clamp may be required for the common rail injection system due to its pressures...but for 30 PSI that runs in our SLK230 the "farm equipment" is easy, more than adequate for security and re-usable not to mention there's no need for special tools to use them.

merrill's picture
Austin, TX

Vehicles
1998 C230
1978 300D
1966 230SL

don't forget that the pressure is not really kicked up till the fuel exits the injection pump.

from the tank to the motor the pressure is not that high.

nhdoc (not verified)
nhdoc's picture

merrill;120167 wrote:
don't forget that the pressure is not really kicked up till the fuel exits the injection pump.

from the tank to the motor the pressure is not that high.

To clarify, I assume you are speaking of the diesel engine, not the gas engine on the SLK. I didn't want the original post to get lost in here...there is no IP in the SLK and the 30 PSI pressure in the system is present through the filter even after shutdown which is why you need to carefully bleed it off.