not-front-rule

E420 Radiator Replacement Tips?

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
Former Member
pgruener's picture
Milwaukee, WI

Vehicles
1999 SL500

Hi,
I have a 1994 E420 with about 150,000 miles and it looks like the radiator has sprung a fatal leak. I am thinking about replacing it myself.

I have done a search on this forum and found a reply that indicated the E420 radiator replacement would be similar to the 6 cylinder engines and the author outlined the steps.

http://mbca.cartama.net/showthread.php?t=8212&highlight=E420+radiator

Is there anything different or tricky about the radiator replacement on the V8 engine?

Does the fan have to come off?

How much AFT will come out of the cooler?

Once the radiator is reinstalled and the coolant replaced, do I top up the ATF in the normal way or is there a special procedure?

I have the E-Class Owner’s Bible and a W124 workshop manual from Technibooks that does not cover the E420 specifically. Should I have the factory shop manual before taking this on?

Thank you,
Paul

Share this

rogo's picture

Re: E420 Radiator Replacement Tips?

The radiators are different. Very likely in capacity. Owning the Service CD is not a detriment. When coupled with steve Nervigs Index, you have some idea of what a job entails and the labor hours a dealer would charge.

W124Service Library CDs are again available from Mercedes. They were not available earlier in 2007 as stocks had run out. As of 5/9/2007 there are 150 copies on hand and available for sale.

Current price is US$64.98 plus US$5.00 shipping plus applicable state sales tax.

To order call 1-800-367-6372. Ask for Mercedes part number P-2700-124-099.

After obtaining the CD, you should download Steve Nervigs Index for the Service CDs. It allows you to use the CDs easily without having to learn what Mercedes meant when they structured their proprietary product. You can download the index at: http://web.mac.com/dakota/iWeb/Mercedes/Indexes.html

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Former Member
pgruener's picture
Milwaukee, WI

Vehicles
1999 SL500

Thanks guys, Paul

Jimbo's picture
Manchester, CT

Vehicles
1997 SL600
1992 500E
done it several times on a M119

Naw, the fan stays put. You'll have to remove the lower part of the fan shroud though to make it easier. The upper one can stay in limbo while you slide the new one in. Its not hard to replace anyway IMO. ...but it can be tricky. Wear gloves or the knuckles will be scraped !

One thing to note, the ATF lines that are connected to the bottom of the radiator, the new rad will probably be different in the way it mounts at those attachment points, you might have to get creative with re-attaching.

The ATF cooler stays put also, very little fluid trickles out of the 2 banjo clips on the M119s radiator. Good idea to use new crush washers on them.

1992 500E ...and  some others cars too

Former Member
pgruener's picture
Milwaukee, WI

Vehicles
1999 SL500

Thank you James. The information is very helpful.
Paul