not-front-rule

E320 Interior light issue

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

13 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Hello all!
I have a 98 E320 wagon. (Best car I've ever owned) But I do have a problem. I can't get the interior lights to work right (they used to). When I hit the button on the overhead console, it either turns them on (and they stay on until the 5 minute battery saver kicks in, even when I start it and put it in gear) or they are off always. I also noticed that when I hit the reomte that the signal lights don't flash (should flash 3 times) when I lock the car. They do flash once when I unlock it though. This is the case no matter how I have the overhead switch set. I know this is a minor problem but it is getting irritating at night when I would like to have the lights. Any help or suggestions would be much appriciated.

Share this
Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

Fett, check the Owner's Manual to learn how the interior light switch works. The solution may be as simple as selecting the correct position ... the switch operation may not be as intuitive as you think.

Fred Hoelzle

mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Fett wrote:
Hello all!
I have a 98 E320 wagon. (Best car I've ever owned) But I do have a problem. I can't get the interior lights to work right (they used to). When I hit the button on the overhead console, it either turns them on (and they stay on until the 5 minute battery saver kicks in, even when I start it and put it in gear) or they are off always. I also noticed that when I hit the reomte that the signal lights don't flash (should flash 3 times) when I lock the car. They do flash once when I unlock it though. This is the case no matter how I have the overhead switch set. I know this is a minor problem but it is getting irritating at night when I would like to have the lights. Any help or suggestions would be much appriciated.

if there is a switch with a door on it try selecting it and see what happens. if it is on with the door closed it should go off immediately when the car is started

mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Ferdman wrote:
Fett, check the Owner's Manual to learn how the interior light switch works. The solution may be as simple as selecting the correct position ... he switch operation may not be as intuitive as you think.

i was thinking about moving to harrisburg, what do you do to protect your car from salt in the winter? i have a pristine 230TE and would hate for it to have rust issues

OliverB's picture

My solution, in the Eastern panhandle of WV where a good bit of salt is used, is to park the Benz in the garage as long as there is any trace of salt around - wet or dry. I have a Jeep to carry me through the nasty weather. My 1990 300E has never been out in winter conditions and underneath looks like a nearly new car.

Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

mercedessd, Oliver has the answer ... avoid driving the car as much as possible when salt is on the roads. If you're forced to drive it wash the wheels wells and undercarriage as soon as possible to prevent corrosion. We have a "beater car" that we use for harsh winter driving ... that's the best alternative to not driving anywhere.

Fred Hoelzle

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

mercedessd wrote:
if there is a switch with a door on it try selecting it and see what happens. if it is on with the door closed it should go off immediately when the car is started

I have tried that. When I get in and hit that button, the lights come on and stay on. I must have spent 30 minutes (in 30 degree temps) last night playing with it because I keep thinking that it is something stupid. I have tried all the switches up there in different combinations to try to get it set right to no avail. The big thing bugging me is that the outside marker lights don't flash when I lock it up. (They used to though) It's driving me nuts.

Thanks for the responces though!

Fett

mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Fett wrote:
I have tried that. When I get in and hit that button, the lights come on and stay on. I must have spent 30 minutes (in 30 degree temps) last night playing with it because I keep thinking that it is something stupid. I have tried all the switches up there in different combinations to try to get it set right to no avail. The big thing bugging me is that the outside marker lights don't flash when I lock it up. (They used to though) It's driving me nuts.

Thanks for the responces though!

Fett

is it possible one of the door switch pins are broken? they are below the door latch part on the body, see if one might be broken, also see that when you use the remote to lock if one or more doors aren't locking that door may have the issue, one other possibility is the plastic part at the door latch on the door, if it is missing it will not push the previously mentioned door switch in. the alarm lights arent flashing possibly because the door switch issue, i have seen problems like that if the door panel is off when we are working in the door area,

mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

thanks for letting me know what can happen, if i move, i will get a beater

Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

Fett, I highly recommend that you purchase an Owner's Manual from your local MB dealer if you don't have one. There is a lot of valuable information in there ... take the time to skim it thoroughly. It seems you're at the point where a trip to the local MB Service Department may be required for a diagnostic test to determine the source of the problem. Call and speak with a service advisor about your problem to get an idea of what might be wrong and the approximate cost of the diagnostic test on their analyzer. If I'm not mistaken customers pay for the time the car is hooked to the analyzer plus the tech's hourly rate ... so it can get fairly expensive, but you'll find out what's wrong and what it will cost to fix it.

Fred Hoelzle

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

If you have put the overhead control panel switch in the center position and all
the door contact switches are ok {all the doors lock and unlock with remote}
then I would suspect a control unit version coding problem

Kevin :)

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thank you all for your suggestions. I will check out the door switches and play with it some more this weekend. I do have an owners manual and read it several times, but I can't seem to find anything. If I can't get it right this weekend, It looks like a trip to the dealer. Thanks again!!

Gmazzini's picture

Sounds to me like its a door switch. The blinkers will not flash if a door is open.

mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Gmazzini wrote:
Sounds to me like its a door switch. The blinkers will not flash if a door is open.

i mentioned that in the thread #8 above, but i hope he is going to check that and let us know what he finds