not-front-rule

E320 Cdi

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
IndyMark's picture

The '05 E320 CDI's have been in service here for 3 years now. What are experiences with reliability? It's time for a newer ride.

Share this
lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC
Re: E320 Cdi

Zero/zip/nada problems in 18K miles with ours.

zak
zak's picture
Bernardsville, NJ

Vehicles
2002 G500
1999 E300 Turbo Diesel
1987 300TDT
1967 250SL

They are also holding their value very well.

DieselDave's picture
Cumming, GA

Vehicles
1995 E300 Diesel
1997 E300 Diesel
1997 SL500
2005 E320 CDI
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet

I took delivery of a new 05 E320cdi in September 2005. Did not drive it much until I passed my 1995 E300 Diesel on to my son. Now have 12,000 miles on the E320cdi.

Only issues have been two recalls:

First, on the Sensotronic brakes, a grounding strap was added. These brakes have been subject to some criticism, however, the more I drive the car, the more I like them. They work great cornering with the ESP on.

Second, while the brake grounding strap was being installed, a battery module upgrade was made. As with most current MB cars, there are a lot of electronics, and this was to improved the battery's capability to keep everything initialized. This car does have hibernation for some of the electronics, if you don't drive it for a while, the nav system and other functions will take several minutes to boot up the next time the car is started (it tells you that is happening).

I love the car. It's fast and smooth, I get 33mpg around town and the 38mpg as advertised on the interstate. It truly is a SuperSedan.

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

Don350SDL;105978 wrote:
38 MPH highway, in a car that large! Wow! SuperSedan is right.

Plus, it's a rocket ship!

Former Member
salo65's picture

Vehicles
None

My 06 just turned a year old with 21k miles on it. This is my first diesel and E class. I'm never going back to gas. It has had no problem thus far. Unfortunately, Consumer reports really gives this car a bad mark on reliability. I wish they would rate the diesel differently. I'm getting an average of 28MPG combined.

Frank Jay's picture

DieselDave;105898 wrote:
I took delivery of a new 05 E320cdi in September 2005. Did not drive it much until I passed my 1995 E300 Diesel on to my son. Now have 12,000 miles on the E320cdi.

Only issues have been two recalls:

First, on the Sensotronic brakes, a grounding strap was added. These brakes have been subject to some criticism, however, the more I drive the car, the more I like them. They work great cornering with the ESP on.

Second, while the brake grounding strap was being installed, a battery module upgrade was made. As with most current MB cars, there are a lot of electronics, and this was to improved the battery's capability to keep everything initialized. This car does have hibernation for some of the electronics, if you don't drive it for a while, the nav system and other functions will take several minutes to boot up the next time the car is started (it tells you that is happening).

I love the car. It's fast and smooth, I get 33mpg around town and the 38mpg as advertised on the interstate. It truly is a SuperSedan.

Frank Jay's picture

Hello Dave,
It's been a long time since I've heard from you and I am glad to hear that you are saving the CDI for t he children. I have 27,00 on mine and have using it as my ony car until recently. Your MPG is abut the same as mine. I did have a fuel leak at the fuel filter and the dealer had to order a new hose and then couldn't pput it on as they didn't have the right clamp and had to order it as well. They insisted that I get a rental and wait for the clamp to arrive. I brought it home and took off the crimp type clam and put on a stainless screw job and that was it. I don't think I'll take anything back to that dealer again, even warrenty work. I gave my son my 92 2.5 turbo and he totaled it, so I bought it back and fixed if for my daughter and just got her 87 190 2.5 non turbo. I took it for Va. inspection and it wouldn't back out of the garage. It went forward, but no reverse. I've got to take it to a tranny shop in the AM, an independent guy with a top reputation. My son now has the 07 Jetta that I bought and it was a great car. ope all is well with you. I've lost your email address with a PC change.
Regards,
FRank Shaffer
Wiliamsburg