not-front-rule

E300 Diesel CD changer

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

14 replies [Last post]
mertenj's picture

My 1997 E300 Diesel has a Mercedes audio system. (I bought it used. Unfortunately no manuals are included)

I gather the CD player was an option - correct?

If the player was installed, where would it be. If I had to buy one, where would I look?

John

Share this
mark cummins's picture

The CD player was a Option...either when Ordered...at the VPC..and Dealer Installed

Its Located at the Left rear trunk well...remove the center trunk carpet..and the left rear trunk carpet..the wire harness is zip tied to the main rear harness at the top of the left wheel well..plug and play..

Try Ebay..Or mbenznl.com
Not Sure I Would use ebay

DieselDave's picture
Cumming, GA

Vehicles
1997 E300 Diesel
1997 SL500
2005 E320 CDI
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet

Our 97 E300D had an Alpine 6-CD changer installed by dealer at delivery as alternate to overpriced MB changer. Cost about $400 installed. All functions work from the radio/control head just like MB, and have had no problems.

mertenj's picture

Thanks for the help. So I can find the related wiring in the trunk. Was the CD Changer also located in the trunk?

DieselDave's picture
Cumming, GA

Vehicles
1997 E300 Diesel
1997 SL500
2005 E320 CDI
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet

CD changer is located in the trunk.

BENZITCH's picture

What Model Radio

What model Becker radio are you using?
Bruce

Thanks
Bruce
BENZITCH

mertenj's picture

model unknown

Unfortunately, I do not knbow the model. How can I tell? The reason for my inquiry is that the Audio system has controls for a CD changer, but I cannot find it. I wanted to determine if the button was actually contolling a device I could not find........

DieselDave's picture
Cumming, GA

Vehicles
1997 E300 Diesel
1997 SL500
2005 E320 CDI
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet

The radio that came with your car has a button for activating the CD changer. push "CD". When activated, the Track and Times readout is the LCD display in your radio. If you push the CD button, and nothing reads out on the display, or it says "no CD", then the previous owner(s) did not have it installed. A local dealer, or local independent, could tell you if your wiring harness is in the trunk to hook up a changer, and what cost would be.

mertenj's picture

CD Changer interface

OK! I found the connector where Dave Suggested it would be! ( Thanks Dave!)

A friend gave me a Sony EXCD-3RF (10 Disc CD Changer) he is no longer using. Unfortuantely the connectors on the Sony do not match those on my 1997 MB E300! So I went to an audio iinstaller near by. He told me that I needed to find a CD changer that was compatible with "radio" unit in my car - It is motr than wires, its also protocols....

Is this on the up and up? Do you have any guidance in this area? Can anyone recommend solutions and also provide relevant model numbers?

John

Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

John, as mentioned the wiring harness for the CD Changer is located in the left trunk well. I don't believe it's necessary to remove the left fender liner; however, it's a good idea to remove the trunk carpet covering the spare tire well. Contact a MB dealer for the type CD Changer that is compatible with your 1997 E300. The CD Changer technology has evolved so that a CD Changer for a 1998 E-Class will not work in a 1999 E-Class, as MB went to a fiber optic design and maybe others since then. When we bought our 1998 E320 new I bought the CD Changer separately from the dealer (around $700 as I recall) and installed it myself ... a simple plug and play after mounting it with 2 screws to the pre-drilled structural member on the left side of the trunk. A knowledgeable Parts Department person should be able to give you specific information on that vintage CD Changer and advise what aftermarket changers, if any, will work in your car. Perhaps the MB CD Changers are more reasonably priced now. Regardless, I recommend getting a MB CD Changer rather than have some audio shop butcher the wiring in your E300 and causing other headaches you don't want/need.

Fred Hoelzle

DieselDave's picture
Cumming, GA

Vehicles
1997 E300 Diesel
1997 SL500
2005 E320 CDI
2006 CLK350 Cabriolet

The audio installer you went to is correct. The changer you need must be compatible with the commands that the MB radio "head unit" is sending to the changer. And unless that particular Sony's software chip is set up that way, it won't work.

You should be able to find an aftermarket changer that will connect with and work with that year and model radio. Check Alpine. I would endorse the previous poster regarding not letting someone cut and splice your wiring harness in the trunk to try to make something else work.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I didn’t read all the posts, so apologies if this is redundant, but:

I just bought a USA Spec Scd- A88i 6 CD changer for our 1998 E320 wagon from a guy on Ebay. Delivered it was $167.50. Crutchfield sells the same thing for ~$250.00 pls shipping. In back of the car, passenger side well was a rack. The rack held an amplifier and had an empty slot. The Scd-A88i fit right into the rack. An adapter plug was included with the unit that plugged into the 10 pin connecter that was already in the car. The thing was plug-and-play worked great. It took me all of 20 minutes to install. A local aftermarket auto stereo store wanted $400 to install the same unit! The Scd-A88i came with additional brackets that allow it to be mounted in various locations. I've only had it for 3 days, but so far I'm really pleased with it.

PM

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

In addition, Scd-A88i was, I believe, a factory refurbished unit. It came in a factory box with the packing a manufacturer would use.

BENZITCH's picture

E300 Diesel CD changer

I think this model Mercedes, used the Becker be0980 cd sytem.

Do you have a picture of your radio so it can be verified?

Working units are getting harder to find as tecnology rumbles on.

I beleive the option was over $1000 from the dealer in 91.

BENZITCH

Thanks
Bruce
BENZITCH

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

Query at http://www.crutchfield.com to determine if they have compatible unit.

And, see
http://web.mac.com/dakota/iWeb/Mercedes/Becker.html