not-front-rule

"Check Engine Oil Level" though E320 runs fine?

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

5 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Hello Everybody,

I have a 2001 E320 that has done 97K miles. It was rear-ended a few months back and I had it fixed. Everything runs fine. There isn't any significant vibration, and the engine accelerates fine.

However at low speeds or idling the "Check Engine Oil" message is displayed. After that "Engine Oil Level Low, Take to Workshop" message on a red background is displayed. I checked the engine oil level and it is near maximum.

Could someone please tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

JS

Share this
Robby Ackerman's picture
Denbigh, VA

Vehicles
None
Conspiracy theory?

Looks like a Mobile 1 conspiracy to me.

1960 190 SL
1983 300 D (WVO)
1984 190E 2.3-16 / Mosselman Turbo System & Dinan suspension
1984 190E 2.3-16 / Delsing Motorsport suspension
1992 500SL

Former Member
mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Jayanta Sen wrote:
Hello Everybody,

I have a 2001 E320 that has done 97K miles. It was rear-ended a few months back and I had it fixed. Everything runs fine. There isn't any significant vibration, and the engine accelerates fine.

However at low speeds or idling the "Check Engine Oil" message is displayed. After that "Engine Oil Level Low, Take to Workshop" message on a red background is displayed. I checked the engine oil level and it is near maximum.

Could someone please tell me what is going on?

Thanks in advance,

JS

i would say that the oil level sensor is defective i have seen many defective ones do that, the engine sub pan has to come off, i would plan to replace it at your next flexible service.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

mercedessd wrote:
i would say that the oil level sensor is defective i have seen many defective ones do that, the engine sub pan has to come off, i would plan to replace it at your next flexible service.

Thank you!

Gmazzini's picture

I agree, mine did that too. And one msg that I had was defective oil sensor. Good luck.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Gmazzini wrote:
I agree, mine did that too. And one msg that I had was defective oil sensor. Good luck.

Yes, it turned out to be the oil sensor. It was replaced and now I don't get the warning anymore. Which is a relief, I was starting to worry about the engine block being cracked etc.

Jayanta