not-front-rule

???? On Board Diagnostics - 1995 E320

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

5 replies [Last post]
Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Just bought a 95 E320 Wagon; trying to get it road worthy. I'm getting conflicting stories regarding whether it is OBD-I or OBD-II compliant. I cannot find the usual OBD-II connector but I can locate what looks like an OBD port under the hood on the passenger side which has the expected 16 pins but not in the typical shape. Can anyone help me determine whether the car is OBD-I or II and either way steer me towards the correct cabling and software to run on my laptop.

Share this
Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Re: ???? On Board Diagnostics - 1995 E320

Your car is OBDI on the 16 pin diagnostic connector in the engine comparment. Some other 1995 104 motors were early ODBII adopters but not the E-Class. You can read the emission / check engine light codes on the built-in LED and pushbutton but will need to build a code reader to access the other pins. Try a search - there should be more on this in the archives.

Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Thanks, I will search the archives. In the meantime, please allow me to ask you another question. I have heard of companies that build custom cabling and connectors, do you think it would be possible to build an adapter that would enable me to hook up to OBD-II software?

Former Member
dmorrison19's picture

Vehicles
None

Don350SDL,

I notice you have a 95 E320, how do you perform diagnostics on that vehicle?

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

You can build your own flash code reader with about $10 of parts from Radio Shack and this will read all the pins. Only 7 of the 16 pins are actually utilized - 3, 6, 7, 8 and 14 have codes, then 1 is the ground and 16 is the 12V power.

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

Do a search. I think I posted info about the code reader I built with Dean's help. There are some very good threads regarding building your own code reader.

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles