not-front-rule

Battery Replacement-SL500

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

10 replies [Last post]
jdonnee's picture

Can someone tell me the correct way to replace a battery in my 1996 SL500. I did not realize that these were not maintenace free consequently, all the cells were almost empty of water.

I understand that you cannot just undo the two cables and swap out.

What's the proper procedures so that I do not lose everything like on a previous post.

Any recommedations on a replacement brand.

Thanks

Share this
Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

I buy replacement batteries from the local MB dealer. Some folks may recommend an Optima battery ... it's sealed and maintenance-free.

Fred Hoelzle

jdonnee's picture

Do You Do Anything Special In Swapping it Out

Hi Fred, thanks for the reply. I was looking at the Optima's.

My concern is that I heard you cannot just disconnect the two poles lift out the old battery and dop in the new one. Something about needing to keep power to the electrical system.

Do you do anything special when you change the battery.

George Murphy's picture
Oak Ridge, TN

Vehicles
1999 C43 AMG

jdonnee wrote:
Can someone tell me the correct way to replace a battery in my 1996 SL500. I did not realize that these were not maintenace free consequently, all the cells were almost empty of water.

I understand that you cannot just undo the two cables and swap out.

What's the proper procedures so that I do not lose everything like on a previous post.

Any recommedations on a replacement brand.

Thanks

Go for an Optima battery - batteries.com for good price - that's where I buy mine.

Rig up some wires to maintain power to the car while changing battery - otherwise make sure you have radio theft code and instructions on resetting windows and other "computer" functions . .

Regards,

George Murphy

MBCA Technical Director

865-482-9175

1999 C43 AMG

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Have you tried just putting water in it? I had a battery go dry/dead, put water in it, and it was good for a couple more years, till I sold the car.

jdonnee's picture

Water in Battery

That's exactly what happen and whatr I did-it just gives me a less than confident feelding.

This was a 96 SL500 with 21,000 miles and it looks like the original battery.

Peter Guenther 1's picture

Call MB roadside assistance, they come out to wherever you are (work home etc). Its cheaper than going to the dealer, most of the time they have the radio code. $125. My MB service advisor tells me they have to charge labor if it comes into the shop.

jdonnee's picture

Rigging Up Power To Battery

George Murphy wrote:
Go for an Optima battery - batteries.com for good price - that's where I buy mine.

Rig up some wires to maintain power to the car while changing battery - otherwise make sure you have radio theft code and instructions on resetting windows and other "computer" functions . .

Do you think that if I attach the appropriate leads from a battery charger on the appropriate + and - cable prior to taking them off the battery posts, it would have enough power to keep all the codes active?

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

Read the owner's manual. It tells you what will need to be resychronized and how to do it. It's not that big of a deal. Probably just the radio and the windows. Maybe the headrests too. Takes less time to do than it does to rig up an alternate power source.

Len

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles

Robert  Castor's picture
Ellicott City, MD

Vehicles
2008 S550
1999 SL500
Battery Location

My 1999 SL500 is covered up for the season and I have no idea if it will start when I finally take the cover off in a few months.
If there is a problem, can you please tell me where the battery is located? The owners manual is in the car, so I can't look there and really don't want to uncover the car just yet.
I purchased the car about  seven months ago, with no good records, so I don't know how new or how old the battery even is.
Hopefully it will stat right up.
Please advise.
Bob Castor

Scott Singer's picture
Baltimore, MD

Vehicles
None
Easy, don't sweat it

I believe the battery is in the trunk under the carpet.
You will need a ratchet with a 13mm (I believe) socket to remove the bracket hold-down.
Also a 10mm wrench for the battery clamps.
Look around for a narrow vent tube that is push inserted into the battery, may be missing - but it could be there.
These batteries are heavy - so mechanics gloves are nice to have.
I like to wax the battery tray and clean the area under the battery plus rub a bit of emery-steel wool on the inside of the female cable to get maximum contact.

i prefer not to jump start but if you must do as the owners manual states.

I'm by I-83 , not too far from you , always hitting the Korean restaurants around route 40.

Scott