not-front-rule

Another Key for 04 E320

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
SilverSpear's picture

Hello,

My dad recently purchase a nicely used 2004 E320 and it came with only one key.
I looked at the key and it had only one serial number of 7 digits on it and I wonder if I buy a similar key on ebay will I be able to reprogram it?

I have already PM'ed the ebay sellers and told me to check with my dealership. Called the dealership and they told me that it cannot be reprogrammed. Now I know dealerships are stealerships and they will do anything to attract you.

So I thought I would ask the Merc lovers around here for some advice. What to do in this case? Especially that the car is NOT in the US, it was exported to my country and I knew the name of the dealership through the carfax.

Any advice people?

Thanks

Share this
lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC
Re: Another Key for 04 E320

Bad mouthing dealerships is not productive.

The ONE AND ONLY way to get a key for this car is to purchase it from a dealer, having provided proof of ownership.

The rest of us that own Mercedes appreciate this security.

Bela's picture
San Diego, CA

Vehicles
2003 E500

I purchased a replacement key for my 2003 E-class after I lost mine, and my understanding is that MB USA in NJ is in total control of key replacements for security purposes. To replace your key, you must go to a dealer, show proof of identity (and maybe ownership) in order for them to order you a key from New Jersey. The dealer does not control the process, only administer it. The price sounds high compared to what it cost me (about half that) several years ago, but the only way to get a discount would be to buy it at wholesale price, if you have a dealer who offers that (I do). Even at the price I paid, it was painful.

I question the statement about not reprogramming a key, though. If you proved ownership of a vehicle and identity, I don't see why it couldn't be reprogrammed from one vehicle to another. That might have to take place in NJ, maybe at the dealership if they are allowed to know the code for your vehicle, but why wouldn't it be possible? It should save a chunk of cost for the key itself (depending on how much you had to pay on eBay), but it might extend the timeframe. To get the official policy, I would call the national MBUSA Customer Assistance Center ((800) 367-6372 or 800-FOR-MERCEDES) and ask what is possible.

To cut the process time, maybe you could order the key from the dealer by phone (paying by credit card), and then offer proofs when you pick it up. I can't remember how I did it, but my dealer was an hour and a half drive.

Good luck.

Bela

1960 220SEb
1967 230SL
1996 C280
1999 E320
2003 E500 (current)

signifer's picture
Ashburn, VA

Vehicles
1987 190E
1990 300E
2006 E350

Hi,

I'm a little confused...

I thought the electronic key was basically a valet key that had to be linked to the car and this was done through some process like linking a garage door opener to a new remote; this may require a dealer to do, I don't know. However, to get a mechanical key that will work with the car (and unlock everything) required going to a dealer and demonstrating the car was yours.

Is this not how it works?

Thanks,
Richard

signifer's picture
Ashburn, VA

Vehicles
1987 190E
1990 300E
2006 E350

Thanks, Don! I misunderstood the "marriage" part; I thought it linked any key to any car.

I'm glad I was wrong. What MB does is much better than I had thought!

Thanks again for the clarification.

Best regards,
Richard

SilverSpear's picture

Ok guys, just for your information. It has been a while...

My dad took the car to a local electronics/audio shop and showed him the key. He said he is doing this all the time :confused:

So he opened a drawer full of MB keys and grabbed a used one same as THIS

He REPROGRAMMED it to the car's original security system and currently we are using it with the original kept as spare.

I also do have a 350z which key just stopped one day. I took it to him and he reprogrammed it for me for $25 bux. The MB key along with its programming costed us $100.

Cheers people.

Former Member
mozartsghost's picture
Columbus, OH

Vehicles
None

As much as I hate to agree that keys can be made by non-MB sources for our Beloved MB's with smart key technology they can... It is a device favored by car thieves and the like but I'm sure some "legitimate" folks own these devices as well...

This is how many of our MB's get stolen, they bypass the alarm, read the ECU and make a new key and off they go with our wheels...

I have attached a page from the manual from this device to show it exists, obviously I am not going to advertise who/where this device comes from as I feel it undermines our vehicle's security...(same device works on BMW too)

It just goes to show that no security is foolproof, but still safer than most cars...

That said, I would still trust the dealer on the smart key far more than some independent who gives you a great deal, they can save the codes that are pulled and that would risk your car being stolen when the "independent" sells your codes and a nice new key to some gang of car thieves... With the dealer you have confidence that nobody has read your ECU and there is far less risk of car theft... There are some things that is it just best to let the dealer handle... Smart keys being top of the list...

MG

AttachmentSize
Keymaker2.pdf 78.25 KB
Turbodiesel's picture
Durham, NC

Vehicles
2006 E320 CDI

It's so discouraging what the web search "make Benz smart key" comes up with....

Turbodiesel