not-front-rule

'99 E300 Lamp Defective

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
VernS's picture

In the last two weeks I have encountered a "Lamp Defective" message a few times. The message is intermitant. It comes on when I engage the brakes. After I shut off the car for a few minutes the message may not appear again for several times of running. Then a few days later the message appears again. Bad bulb? Why would it be intermittent? Bad connection? I have removed and reinstalled both stop light bulbs. When I am at home all stop light bulbs work. Suggestions?

Share this
Former Member
jojocluna's picture
Walnut, CA

Vehicles
None
Re: '99 E300 Lamp Defective

When the message comes out again, have someone step on the brakes so you can inspect which side is not working while the engine is running or the key in the #2 position. Use fine sand paper on both bulb socket contacts and tail light housing contacts and put a small amount of contact greese.

If that doesn't fix it go to the diesel page and someone has posted the part number for the bulb socket a while back.

Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

Vern, check for a flat spot on the base of the lamps. It looks like someone filed the base at an angle. If that's the case simply install new Osram/Sylvania lamps. I've experienced this phenomenon in our 124 cars.

Fred Hoelzle

vince's picture
Chesapeake, VA

Vehicles
2014 ML350
1999 E430

Various forums have reported this problem with the W210's. On my car I found the base in the tail light assembly was defective. When I backed off the socket that holds the bulb a few degrees of rotation the problem went away (the bulb fits into a separate socket that bayonets into the lens assembly on the W210). Someday I will get a new lens assembly.

Vincent Canepa Member since 1973 1999 E430, Smoke Silver w/Parchment full leather  2014 ML350 4Matic Diamond Silver w/Auburn Brown-Black leather

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

Same thing with me. Every couple of years I get that lamp defective message too. Have to rotate the offending brake light bulb until I find the sweet spot and then I'm good to go again.

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles