not-front-rule

97 S-320 Straight Six oil change

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

12 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Looking for web page with diagrams and step by step procedure for changing oil filter on the 97 straight six.
Thanks,
Larry

Share this
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Don, Thanks for the reply.
This is my first Benz and just trying to avoid the nightmares I've read about. MB filter only and Mobile 1 oil. My problem is locating the darn filter on the motor. I've looked high and low. I'll leave the rest to MB service but I like changing the oil every 3K. I've found several web pages showing filter but it's always for the V8. I need the location for the straight 6, I believe M104, 3.2L.
Thanks again,
Larry
97 S-320

lyonstexas's picture
Mc Kinney, TX

Vehicles
1992 300SE

Larry, on my 1992 straight six, the filter is under the air cleaner near the firewall. Be sure to have some old rags to place around the filter housing when removing the filter which normally comes out with the cap. Be sure to put a little oil coating on the o-ring when reassembling.
Tim

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Don350SDL wrote:
Yeah, the filter's not like an american car, it's located on the top of the engine, beneath the air cleaner like Lyonstexas says, in a metal housing. Unscrew the plastic (or aluminum) top cap (there's a tool for that, you should be able to figure something out though) to take it off. Let it drain for a minute. You can pull out the old filter with the cap and it drips everywhere (hence, the rags).

Then remove the panels under the engine and drain the oil.

Note: The oil filter cap torque is 25 N-m, the drain plug (MB doesn't recommend suction on that engine) is either 25 N-m (12 mm bolt) or 30 N-m (14 mm bolt).

The engine takes about 7 liters of oil

The special tool is W103 589 02 09 00, a dealer can sell you one, unsure of the price.

Use whatever gaskets you can from the oil filter kit, but note that in some cases they give you some gaskets you don't need. The copper one goes to the drain plug.

Don

Are you sure it is 7L I was sure it was 8 or 8 and a half. :confused: I can't do any of my own work my one time mechanic attempt was when I broke my seat controls LOL so I may be wrong, it should say in the owners manual though.

sprintuser's picture

MB filter vs generic

Hello Folks:

When I had purchased my MB, I did all kinds of research on maintenance, one of which was ofcourse on the oil filter and oil. To my (moderate) shock, MB informed me that the oil filter 'should' be the MB brand since it has wool layering and is the best possible material. The parts guy sold me (scared me?) on not using anything BUT the MB filter (at over $23 a pop).

After a few months (and getting to know my MB a litle better), I decided to check what was available as the aftermarket. I went to Advance Auto (they are one of the very few who actually carry after market oil filters for MB) and bought one for a shade over $11. I took this filter (ADvance Auto) and a brand new one from MB and compared the two.

Result: The ONLY cosmetic/visual difference between the two was the stamped MB part number on the MB filter. They were both made in India and both had the exact identical measurements, color schemes, hole measurements etc. From my detailed review, I could not tell the difference except for the stamped MB part number.

I went a step further. I cut the two length wise and taking dirty oil from the disposable oil container, poured 6 ounces of oil in each and let them sit for 10 mintues (oil at garage temp ~72 degrees). After 10 minutes, both had the exact same amount of oil remaining in them.

My conclusion, there is no difference in the two oil filters except the price (ofcourse!) and the stamped part number.

I would love to hear valued responses critiquing my conclusion, both from your experiences experience and technical details.

Au Revoir.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Thanks to all for your help.
I found the oil filter tucked down on the rear of motor, drivers side. Opposite side of the air cleaner. Very hard to see, but there it was.
I was also referred to a local MB shop. (Not Dealer) I stopped by and was impressed with the operation so I will have them do the first LOF (Total price $70, Mobile1) and a complete inspection. Says motor looks and sounds great. Inspected wire harness and several things topside, so far A-OK. I already rebuilt vacumn pump for door locks, replaced driver and passenger seats, fixed the drivers power window and replaced the wire harness in the transmission. Seems the outer and inner wire harness lost it's seal and was leaking tranny fluid causing it to slip between intermediate and high gear. I picked the car up in Fla this past winter and drove it home to Oh. Carfax showed one owner, 9 years in Tampa. Bumper covers were a little rough and the lower side panels had the dull finish, not to my liking. So bumpers and side panels have been refinished and are now repainted and top coated with Dupont high gloss clear, also added a OEM
S-600 grill, and clear front turns. What a difference. I've had the door panels off and trunk liner out, no signs of rust anywhere. The skins were worn on the front seats but I found a set of S-500 like new and matched perfect. Less cost than replacing the skins. Original seats with head rest, tracks and all motors and modules are available. (Not heated) They both work fine, just need new skins.
I love this S-320, great ride, 20mpg city and 25-30 highway.
Thanks again,
Larry
97 S-320 LWB

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

sprintuser wrote:
Hello Folks:

When I had purchased my MB, I did all kinds of research on maintenance, one of which was ofcourse on the oil filter and oil. To my (moderate) shock, MB informed me that the oil filter 'should' be the MB brand since it has wool layering and is the best possible material. The parts guy sold me (scared me?) on not using anything BUT the MB filter (at over $23 a pop).

After a few months (and getting to know my MB a litle better), I decided to check what was available as the aftermarket. I went to Advance Auto (they are one of the very few who actually carry after market oil filters for MB) and bought one for a shade over $11. I took this filter (ADvance Auto) and a brand new one from MB and compared the two.

Result: The ONLY cosmetic/visual difference between the two was the stamped MB part number on the MB filter. They were both made in India and both had the exact identical measurements, color schemes, hole measurements etc. From my detailed review, I could not tell the difference except for the stamped MB part number.

I went a step further. I cut the two length wise and taking dirty oil from the disposable oil container, poured 6 ounces of oil in each and let them sit for 10 mintues (oil at garage temp ~72 degrees). After 10 minutes, both had the exact same amount of oil remaining in them.

My conclusion, there is no difference in the two oil filters except the price (ofcourse!) and the stamped part number.

I would love to hear valued responses critiquing my conclusion, both from your experiences experience and technical details.

Au Revoir.

How long have you been using the aftermarket filter in your car? Is there a difference in oil preasure or engine running etc? I too hate paying a premium for MB products when I should not have to. ;)

sprintuser's picture

I have used it in the last two oil changes (8000 miles). I have not noticed a difference in the oil temp or pressure (my idling pressure has always hovered above the 1 bar (1/2 to 3/4 ways to 2 bar) and when running has always consistently stayed at or above the 3 bar).

Per the Advance Auto gentleman, he would bet his bottom dollar that both are the same when come off the assembly line in India, but the one going to the MB distributor gets the special treatment (part number stamping and MB container).

SRM.

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

What was the brand name of the Autozone identical filter?

Len

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles

sprintuser's picture

Len, the filter is from Advance Auto, Auto ZOne does not carry filters for W140. I do not remember the brand name off hand, but will get it.

Don: I think you may be on to something with the ink analysis, after all, it is the tri star brand!

I agree with you on the warranty issue. But seriously, how many times has an engine failed due to an aftermarket oil filter? Also, given that the car has been on the road for a good part of the past decade, I wonder what kind of hoops would MB make one go through to prove to them that (god forbid) their filter failed and thus they owe you a new (over) $8000 engine? I don't think that conversation/claim would be resolved with one simple visit.

Again, these are merely opinions, it is your (and my) free will to spend as much on quality for our favorite cars. In my humble opinion, there is no added value in paying over twice as much for MB stamped oil filters (or for that matter, any other parts).

Thanks for the replies, I look forward to more opinions.

Take Care

SRM

sprintuser's picture

Len, I called Advance Auto. They carry three brands of filters. They (and associated prices in KC-MO) are listed below:

1. Purolator: $11.88 (this is the filter I am using and used for my comparison with
the MB filter).

2. Delco: $15.94

3. Beck Arnley: $19.84.

For comparison purposes, the MB filters (at the MB dealership in Merriam, KS, there is now only one MB dealership in the KC area, Jay Wolfe Mercedes was purchased by Aristocrat Mercedes a few months ago) cost $ 21.20.

Former Member
Sokoloff's picture
Ocean Isle Beach, NC

Vehicles
2003 SLK320
1983 240D

OE filters, i.e. Mann or Hengst are about $7 at many of the World Pak places. I often use importec.com. Free shiping over $50 and no sales tax.

Len

Len

'59 220S cabriolet

'83 240D 348,500 miles original owner

'99 E300D 170,000 miles

'03 SLK320 27,500 miles

Brett San Diego's picture

I buy OEM filters from online parts suppliers as Len says. I get a lot of stuff including my Mann oil filters from autohausaz.com.

Brett