not-front-rule

95 E320 Check Engine Light Code 2

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

3 replies [Last post]
Doug Wooding's picture

My check engine light is on. I checked the code, 2 blinks on the LED. I understand that this is the O2 Sensor. I purchased the car with 60k and now have over 100K miles. I don't think they have ever been replaced so I am hoping this will solve the problem. California Smog due in April and it will not pass with light on. How many sensors are there? Can I change these myself? New Wiring Harness last year.

Share this
Doug Wooding's picture

Re: 95 E320 Check Engine Light Code 2

I am a bit of a novice at this so I am not sure which socket I tested. There is an access port near the battery, numbered 1 to 16. It has a button in position 2 and a LED in position 4. I assume this is socket 3. I push the button with key on as described in some posting I read and I get 2 Flashes. Testing again, on more flashed and check engine light goes off for some period of time. Where is socket 8 located and how do I test it? I changed the Engine Control wiring harness last year as the insulation was disintegrating so I don't think I have a wiring problem unless it is directly related to the O2 sensor.

Thanks,

garthnorton's picture
Saratoga, CA

Vehicles
2002 SL500
2005 ML350
2011 E320 BLUETEC

Hi Doug,

If I understand your enquire you need a new sensor. Replacement of the o2 sensor can be easily done. When I had the problem I called Anaheim Motors (Also Caliber Motors) in Anaheim and purchased the sensor for about 40% less than at the local dealer. When you see the part you will know exactly what to do. The sensor is just in front of the engine on the left side. I think the job took about 15 minutes. You will need to use your code reader to turn off the check engine light after the new part is installed.

If you have been at a high elevation the reduced oxygen will cause the check engine light to come on, after you have been back to a lower elevation the light will go out on its own. But, if this happens it is a signal that the sensor is on its way out and needs changing.

Good luck,

Garth

Former Member
Barry's picture
Hendersonville, NC

Vehicles
2001 E320 Sedan
1994 SL500

I once had a similar issue with my 95 E320 and it turned out to be a plugged EGR line that snakes across the back of the engine. Threaded some mechanic's wire through it and cleared out the carbon and it worked great.

BG Brown
Hendersonville, NC