not-front-rule

93 300e stalling problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

8 replies [Last post]
Former Member
Navy CPO's picture

Vehicles
1982 300TD

Hello All:

I usually post on the W123 page concerning my '82 300TD. I'll ask those of you who are more familiar with W124 chassis to chime in here with some opinions regarding a '93 W124 300E owned by a good friend of mine. His car has 100K on the clock and has had regular maintenance since new but not to the same extent some may recommend.

The car will either stall or go into a "limp home" low power on an intermittent basis. This happens sometimes several times a month or may not occur for months and can occur at either highway speeds, in city driving or at idle. After restarting, the car will perform fine although it may take several restarts to get the car running again.

He states the car has had a tune up within the past year ( he drives maybe 12-15K per year) but has never had a fuel filter change. Someone has suggested to him this condition may stem from a fault in the wiring harness. Tht doesn't seem likely to me unless the W124 has some fault in the harness I am unaware of.

I've suggested he perform another "baseline" tuneup consisting of plugs. plug wires, filters (including fuel filter) and a bottle of Techron followed up with an ounce or so in each tank for the next 2-3 fill ups using only quality gas and see what happens.

Can anyone think of anything else to zero in on here? Appreciate any thoughts you W124 guys might have.

Thanks!

Share this
rogo's picture

Re: 93 300e stalling problem

If you are sure the wiring harness has already been replaced, it sounds like it is ready for professional help.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Former Member
Navy CPO's picture

Vehicles
1982 300TD

The engine wiring harness has not been replaced.

Is the W124 engine wiring harness known to require replacement with 100K miles? is there a known fault in the harness?

Thanks Bob.

rogo's picture

The W124 engine wiring harness is not the issue. It is the wiring harness used on the M104 engine installed in the W124 body. The '93 has the M104 engine, thus, the bad wiring harness.

Strip back a few inches of the outer covering somewhere on the harness. If you see bare wires, crumbs and dust, the harness requires replacement. Mileage on the vehicle is not a significant factor. I replaced the harness on our 1995 E300D (OM606 engine) at about 180K because of the deterioration. The car was running fine at the time.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Former Member
Navy CPO's picture

Vehicles
1982 300TD

OK... I've got it. We'll check the existing harness and take ir from there.

Life is so simple with a W123 !

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Learn how to read the fault codes and you'll never want to go back to a 123.

rogo's picture

Life is simpler with a 123 only if it is a diesel. Good news is..........the M104 engine with the self deteriorating engine wiring harness was not around when the 123's were being made.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Former Member
Navy CPO's picture

Vehicles
1982 300TD

All:

Thanks for educating me regarding the M104 engine wiring. My friend has reviewed the posts and I've explained it to him.

Next move is up to him to settle on a reputable shop for a confirming diagnosis and the repair.

Now I've got some new W123 issues of my own to tackle!

V/R,

MJO

trekkie1666's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
None

these cars even without the ASR otion can have stalling and acceleration issues stemming from the throttle actuators. I have replace many of them on the 93-95 w124 w104 motors for such problems.

Feed it kraut not rice.........
1994 E36 coupe w/ headers and 5spd 305hp
2002 E55 w/ supercharger and headers 550hp
2003 SL500 w/ supercharger and headers 450hp
1963 300SEb under construction.....