not-front-rule

'93 300E 2.8L -- engine serial number location

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Ok, I have looked and looked and cannot find the engine serial number (drivers side below cylinder head?). Sorry, but can somebody enlighten me how to locate this? I need to get a new water pump, but they need to know engine serial number to identify correct pump to sell me.

Thanks much!

Share this
rogo's picture

Either you are not dealing with the dealer or his parts guys are a little slow. Unless the engine has been changed, there are several sources of this number. The easiest one for you is the metal tag near the top center of the radiator support.

Several lines down from the top, there will be one that begins: 103.XXX. Just to the right of that will be a group of digits likely beginning with 12, a space and 6 more digits.

Those digits, beginning with 12 are serial number of the engine originally installed in your car.

A sharp dealer parts guy could give you the same info based on your VIN, but no more accurate than my way.

If all else fails, try strong lights and dental mirrors. I have never seen the engine serial number on any of my cars. Too hard.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

It's actually a 104 motor. I wouldn't bother to try to get it off the car, the dealer has it in the computer. Ask a service person to run your VMI - there's all kinds of good information on it including the engine number.