not-front-rule

'86 420 SEL Timing Chain Replacement

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

5 replies [Last post]
Randy's picture

Hi, I'm planning this for sometime in the future. I plan to remove the front cover and replace all the necessary parts, guides, etc. as I can't afford a major engine wreck. What is the possibility I am going to encounter bolts with threads stripped out of the block, etc.? If the bolts all cooperate, I can handle the mechanical work. I do not anticipate removing or disturbing the heads. Car is in good condition and has 147K miles, running Mobil1.

Share this
Former Member
mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Randy wrote:
Hi, I'm planning this for sometime in the future. I plan to remove the front cover and replace all the necessary parts, guides, etc. as I can't afford a major engine wreck. What is the possibility I am going to encounter bolts with threads stripped out of the block, etc.? If the bolts all cooperate, I can handle the mechanical work. I do not anticipate removing or disturbing the heads. Car is in good condition and has 147K miles, running Mobil1.

i would suggest saving yourself some time and replace the 3 upper rails, the bannana rail, the chain tensioner, and roll in the new chain by hand, i have done many like that with excellent results

pch2021's picture
Rockledge, FL

Vehicles
None

rolling a new chain in with the right crimping tool on a v8 is a good idea. On a diesel, not always, but otherwise, it is an easy job.

Pierre Hedary
...happily servicing vintage Mercedes-Benz in sunny Florida...
1972 280SE 4.5 252K
1970 280se 3.5 coupe 108K
1971 300sel 4.5 121K
1991 420SEL TMU, but looks brand new!
Mercedes technical advice: 407 765 2867

Randy's picture

'86 420 Timing Chain

OK, thanks for the advice. I don't have a problem with rolling the chain in, as long as I can replace the necessary guides, etc., without removing the front cover. I don't trust the clips holding the master link, though (don't know quite why: I supervise maintenance of industrial engines with huge timing chains, and they all have removable master links with clips, and they never come loose, but they only run 330 RPM, also). Please describe the crimping tool, where to get one, etc.
Thanks again.

Former Member
mercedessd's picture
Phoenix, AZ

Vehicles
1998 C43 AMG
1990 300SE
1987 560SEL

Randy wrote:
OK, thanks for the advice. I don't have a problem with rolling the chain in, as long as I can replace the necessary guides, etc., without removing the front cover. I don't trust the clips holding the master link, though (don't know quite why: I supervise maintenance of industrial engines with huge timing chains, and they all have removable master links with clips, and they never come loose, but they only run 330 RPM, also). Please describe the crimping tool, where to get one, etc.
Thanks again.

as far as i have seen all V8 replacement chains come with the removable masterlink, i have the crimping tool at my shop. it is quite an investment for a one time use.

George Murphy's picture
Oak Ridge, TN

Vehicles
1999 C43 AMG

Randy wrote:
Thanks again.

I rent the crimping tool for $30 for 21 days - $200 deposit. We accept Visa/MC . . .

Regards,

George Murphy

MBCA Technical Director

865-482-9175

1999 C43 AMG