not-front-rule

560SL Heating Problems

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
goconnor's picture
Richmond, CA

Vehicles
2006 SL500

On my 1988 560SL air does not come out of the center nozzles. I'm thinking that a vacuum module doesn't open or close, so the air instead comes out of the defroster vents. No air comes out at all no matter what the temp or setting. Also, when the heater is set at maximum temp it's warm but not hot. The auxilliary recirculating pump at the firewall was replaced - could the mono valve be malfunctioning?

Thanks for your help!

Share this
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
acc system

Hi Geof It sounds like you have two problem,first your veh had a problem with the defroster vent control lever behind the cluster it would brake not allowing it to change from defrost to center vents.or blend the air flow.On your heat i would check the mono valve to see if it is stuck most of the times the rubber diagram would rupture and you would get to much and uncontroled heat.joeym

goconnor's picture
Richmond, CA

Vehicles
2006 SL500

Come on - someone out there must know something about these problems?

Any thoughts?

Peter Guenther 1's picture

Quote:
Originally posted by goconnor
Come on - someone out there must know something about these problems?

Any thoughts?
If you dont like the answer go to your dealer and let them diagnose it!

Former Member
rdanos's picture
Larose, LA

Vehicles
1986 560SL
2000 SL600
Heater problem

I have a 86' 560 SL and had a similar problem. Remove the cover under the Glove compartment after removing the glove compartment. Find the manifold for the vacuum lines that control the modules. Find the main line from the engine and install a make shift vacuum sourch. A vacuum pump from a A/C friend works fine. Put a vacuum gauge inbetween the pump and manifold. Turn the ingnition keys on and press the selector switch each one at a time. If the gauge show low vacuum pressure that is you faulty module. If the manifold does not work at all the selector switches may have come loose behind the wood panel. Have fun.

rdanos
86' 560 SL

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
vac leak

The previous diag is a start.There several vac elements that operate that system.A leak in any one of them will cause erratic climate control operation.A simple diag method is to take the car out with climate control on,push the throttle to wide open for a while.I f you notice the air coming out of the vents changes volumne or direction or vent location then you have a faulty element.You can also access the vac element block and check them individually as previously described.

goconnor's picture
Richmond, CA

Vehicles
2006 SL500

Thanks for the replies - I have 3 other Mercedes all diesels and have had similar problems. I'm new to the 560SL and hope to fix it myself. The dealer charges are high to ferret out these kinds of problems.