not-front-rule

560 SL Cold Rough Idle / Tremble

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

I have an 87 560SL that is great - but when the engine is cold the idle is rough - it doesn't stall, but noticibly rough. (Just started doing this)

Also, at lights when approacing warm temperature, the car seems to tremble - almost like the engine is missing. BUT the car sounds good and runs even better....perhaps this is a warm-up regulator problem?

Help!

Share this
Former Member
Al Cooper's picture
Norwell, MA

Vehicles
1988 560SL
1982 240D
rough idle

I had a rough idle for awhile shortly after I bought my 88 560SL. :confused: I checked out the plugs but decided to put a can of de icer /fuel cleanup stuff in the car 1st. IN about 25 miles all was well again. I just had a load of bad gas as far as I can figure it out now a year+ later as it hasn't happened again. Try a can of good gas cleaner upper like Macs Thermo Aid from NAPA 1st. :)

Al in Red Sox Nation with

Marlene the white flash 560SL hiding in the garage ;)

Manfried the silvr bulit 240D in cool slo moshun :cool:

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

This may or may not help you, but I have been experiencing a similar problem with my 450SL, and my mechanic found that the plug connectors were bad on the #1 and #2 plugs. He replaced them and all is well with the world. I was fearing the worst and it turned out to be something relatively simple.

I hope this helps.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I'm not sure if you want to go down the road of getting a new WU regulator if your idle is rough. A regulator problem would mean that you're not getting enough gas but the idle wouldn't *necessarily* be rough without other compounding factors. Of course, some of us have different definitions for 'rough' :) I'm no longer pay attention to a blurring jiggle--my coffee has to go flying to qualify a rough idle... As always, try the cheapest fix first. Check connectors, etc. How's your engine temp doing? Is it warming up quickly or taking its time, and is it getting up to 100dF? You might want to check your thermostat. I'm having a similar warm-up problem right now and I have a known confirmed bad WU regulator but the idle isn't rough at all.

Former Member
Al Cooper's picture
Norwell, MA

Vehicles
1988 560SL
1982 240D
roughness

Hi All; I just had another thought on idle roughness. I've been told & have seen written on a forum here somrewhere that PLATINUM plugs could be the problem. So i would go the gas cleaner 1st, then check the plugs & connectors before going the regulator route. Good luck :cool:

Al in Red Sox Nation with

"Manfried" the silvr bulit 240D in cool slo moshun on good days ;)

"Marlene" the white flash 560SL hiding in the garage as snow is expected tonight :eek: