not-front-rule

500 Slc Amg??

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
Former Member
willardtredway's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL
1994 E500

I recently purchased a 1981 500 SLC (homologation model for MBenz's qualification for the Euro rally series). The car was delivered in Hamburg and eventully made its way through at least 3 previous owners to me in Houston, Texas. The car has AMG ground effects panels and a complete "white-out" paint job of exceptional quality.

I am trying to research the history on the car and would like to know if there is a website for AMG that might have information on their work on european cars during the early-mid 1980's. I know that their ground effects panels and air dams were widely available as after market add-ons but, on the off chance they did this work in their shop, it would certainly enhance the provenance of the car.

I've run the traps at the 107026 group with no luck.

I would appreciate any help, comments, etc.

Thank you,
Willard Tredway

Share this
Former Member
Chuck Landenberger's picture
Arvada, CO

Vehicles
1997 E320 Sedan
Re: 500 Slc Amg??

Willard,

I'm not sure if this will work, but you need to have MBUSA direct you to the DBAG records that would be applicable to that car model for that year. And since it is one of the "homologation models for MBenz's qualification for the Euro rally series", I would think/hope that would generate some interest!

Check this link into MBUSA and call... Some folks there are still real car folks..... Of course, have VIN, etc., info available.

http://www.mbusa.com/contact-us.do

Hope this helps....

Take care,

Chuck

PS - If this doesn't work, there might be other ways.....

Chuck Landenberger - Arvada, CO - 
Former Forum Administrator & DAL
1983 300CD

gjmagnus's picture

Willard,

You can also try the Mercedes Classic Center in Irvine, CA.

Call 1-866-MB-CLASSIC (1-866-622-5277).

Former Member
willardtredway's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL
1994 E500

Thank you for the information, I will follow up and post my findings.

John R Olson's picture
Minneapolis, MN

Vehicles
2002 C32 AMG
1996 C36 AMG
1985 300TD
1963 300SE
1959 300SL RD

I owned 450SLC 5.0 VIN #00002 for three years in the 1980s. It was the 1977 Frankfurt Auto Show car, rushed to that launch date to defuse Porsche's announcement of the 928 the same week. This was M-B's first all alloy V8 which had been under secret M-B development for years. Only nine cars were built in 1977. According to Eric Waxenberger the first 25+ cars had even more than the reported 240 HP. Even with a three speed automatic mine wouldn't shift into high until 118 MPH when pushed. That's the moment it would began walking past Pontiac Firebirds and other Detroit hotrods which began running out of breath by 125.

As for the AMG question, AMG had very little if any thing to do with preparing these cars. AMG was at that time totally independent. The alloy engine was an in-house project of Mercedes, the first of their hugely successful alloy V8s. Most of these FIA homologated SLC racers raced under the banner of Scuderia Kassel, an affiliate of Mercedes-Benz in Kassel, West Germany. Most of the rally participation was 1979 into 1984, but with no mention of AMG. We know AMG offered high performance engine, suspension and body parts for the SLC throughout the 1980s, but not at that time directly for DBAG. The link with AMG warmed up during the 2.3-16 era when AMG prepared successful entries in the Deutsches Tourwenwagen Maisterschaft (German Touring Car Masters, otherwise known as DTM.

I predict an extremely high collectibility future for any well preserved survivors of the 2,768 authentic 5.0 powered SLCs. I suspect less than 50 are in the USA. They are one of only two limited edition cars M-B built during the 1970s and also just happen to be very good cars.

Regretably, the subsequent owner of my car lost it to a massive rear-end accident while he was waiting for a stop-litght to change. The rar of the car was hit so hard that the rear bumber was under the rear window and the front pushed in to a car in front of him. The good news is that when he collected his bearings and disconnected his seatbelt he found his side door opened perfectly and he was unhurt. He asked me to help him find another one.

John R. Olson, MBCA Director at Large

John R. Olson

POS
POS's picture
Houston, TX

Vehicles
1998 E320 Wagon

Hey, Williard. I'm in Houston as well and now have two AMGs that I'm researching, although the 500SL AMG I just bought needs almost none thanks to considerable records.

I have spent a lot of time researching the 280E AMG I have. MB Classic will only give you a DataCard unless, for some very odd reason, they have a file on your car because it's "special". Because yours spent a lot of time in Europe, you may want to try MB Classic in Germany too. AMG in Germany can't tell you much about pre-1991 cars either, but then again, perhaps your car has a famous history and they have a file on your car. I've never gotten more than a DataCard from any of these sources.

What you can do is trace the trail backwards. Do you have any records of the previous owner's names? Contact them and ask questions - find out the when/where/who of the car. You can contact the DOT and ask them who is the Importer of Record and at what date. That way you can find a name of who brought it in - then contact him.

It takes some dedication, but I've found that once you get a name, you can find that person's contact info easily through internet PeopleSearch companies (for a fee). You can email me if you'd like some help - I think I still have the email from the DOT lady who was very nice. What you want to do can be done.

Former Member
willardtredway's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL
1994 E500

John:

Thanks for the history, I appreciate your help.

I suspected the work was after-market add-on but the paint work is exceptional. Whoever did the whiteout paint job removed all of the chrome, prepped, painted it, and reinstalled it on the car. A labor intensive effort and not something that most shops can be trusted to do well.

I must admit that, at times I look at it and think about restoring it to original and, at other times I think it looks fine as-is. I'm currently looking for a 6.9 to add to the collection so whatever I do will wait until my acquisition mode shifts to a more passive state.

Thank you again,
Willard Tredway

Former Member
Ed Gorman's picture
Montgomery, TX

Vehicles
1972 350SL
1979 450SEL
1981 380SL
1981 380SLC
1988 260E

I have a 1979 US version 6.9 in what I think is Lapus Blue Metallic exterior and parchment leather interior. Car has about 50,000 original miles and was bought new here in Texas. Body and interior are all original and probably a 9.0 after a good detailing. I am having Motor totalilly rebuilt right now -- from new rings and bearing on up. Engine compartment is being detailed while Motor is out of car. Car is supposed to be back running in next couple of weeks and I have had thoughts of going to the M100 meeting in St. Paul. Car will be for sale and I am located in the Conroe Texas area. If you have any interest -- please call me at 1-936-443-3487.

I bought car from original owner here in Conroe to rehab. and sell. I just finished redoing a 1989 560SEC and have a 1981 380 SLC with a new body kit that was just painted today. I also have a 1981 500 SLC awaitng restoration and a 1976 450 SLC half redone and a 1972 350 SL which is also undergoing some work.

Too many cars!

Ed Gorman