not-front-rule

5 speed manual 300E

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

17 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Is it possible to change a 4 speed Automatic 1991 300E, to a 5 speed manual anyone out their that knows anything about it .

Share this
rogo's picture

It should be possible. Mercedes delivered a few hundred 300Es with manual transmission somewhere along the line.

A friend of mine has one and it really moves.

Maybe someone out there has done the conversion and will chime in. If not, you should have your car and the donor car sitting side by side when you swap parts.

Option is to do it the hard way. Did I mention that any other way is the hard way?

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

I know it's been done, and with a vast internet search you should be able to find some information on it. Your chances of coming in under the cost of entire 300E 5 speed are not good.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I also want to do this and have the same year/model car. I hope someone knows something.

Maxbumpo's picture
Mount Pleasant, SC

Vehicles
1995 E300 Diesel
1987 300TDT

Yes, it's been done and is really very straight forward, IF you can have the donor car sitting next to the recipient. I think it basically 'plug and play'.

As already mentioned, the manual transmissions are few and far between, so good luck finding one here in the states...

If you have a friend in Germany, you may be able to source the parts from a recycler over there, but then you won't have the donor car available to make sure you get all the correct parts. I think you'd want the pedal assembly including clutch MC, the flywheel and everything between it back to and including the differential, and there are some electrical connections/switches that you'll need as well (like switch to cut off cruise control when clutch is depressed), and probably the cross brace that holds the transmission.

Max Dillon
Charleston SC
'87 300TD, 334k miles (need to pull the head again...)
'95 E300 Diesel, 335k miles (daily driving duty)
'73 Balboa 20

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
?

Can I swap transmission with a manual 190E would that workout. or is their any mercedes with a manual transmission that is similar to the 5 speed 300E that I can get my hands on. Thanks for the replys

rogo's picture

According to my information manual transmissions were on select W124 cars from 1986 to 1988. These have the M103 engine as your does. All 3 years used the same part number transmission that is not repeated in any other U.S. market series that I can find.

That doesn't mean that others won't work. It just means that I don't have a clue. The part numbers are different for reason, if only for gearing.

You may find that any or all of them will bolt up to your bell housing. That is still not an indication that it will work properly.

Easy way is to buy a 86-88 W124 with a standard transmission...if you can find one for sale.

The transmission used in the 3 years is a 717.430.

Maybe someone has one laying around in the garage. Finding one from outside the U.S. may prove to be easier to identify but harder to buy. MBUSA did not and does not want a cheap Mercedes in the U.S., therefore it has to have as many features as possible to keep the price up.

In many parts of the world, Mercedes is just another car with wind up windows, manual transmission and cloth upholstery along with minimal climate control and radio or none at all.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
wow

that is very interesting about you last statement never knew that and thank you for your info.

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Robert Goodwin wrote:
According to my information manual transmissions were on select W124 cars from 1986 to 1988.

Actually 86 and 88 but no 87s. 86s are much more common than 88s. In 88 they were available in the 3.0 and the 2.6.

rogo's picture

I overlooked a few in my search. Mercedes identifies the 87-89 124.026 and 86-88 124.030 as having the 717. 430 manual transmission. My source is the Mercedes EPC (US version).

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

I don't believe there would be any way to ascertain that from the EPC which doesn't break parts down by model year. A better source of what was really offered in transmissions is the EPA test results at: fueleconomy.gov. The MB Buyer's Guide also shows 86 and 88 only.

rogo's picture

I have to disagree with you, Dean. Here is a copy of one of the pages I looked at in the genuine Mercedes Benz EPC for U.S. version cars.

In the column on the right side of the page, GM stands for manual transmission and GA stands for automatic transmission.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Hanno's picture
Middletown, DE

Vehicles
1987 300E

As stated above, its intelligent grunt work.. all plug and play, IF you have all the bits available. Including the wood shift surround and the exhaust pipe bracket :D . No fabrication, no welding, just remove and replace. Existing differential is fine. Do a search, complete parts listing has already been posted(mercedesshop.com), no time right now to do it again, maybe in a day or two.

Dean Yelenik 1's picture

Robert Goodwin wrote:
I have to disagree with you, Dean. Here is a copy of one of the pages I looked at in the genuine Mercedes Benz EPC for U.S. version cars.

In the column on the right side of the page, GM stands for manual transmission and GA stands for automatic transmission.

To actually be offered for sale they would have to be EPA tested and rated - which they were in 86 and 88, and were not in 87 and 89. I've owned a couple and seen many others - maybe a few dozen 86s and 88s - never seen an 87 or an 89, with the exception of one obviously Euro 87, with hubcaps and cloth seats.

Former Member
Paul Brounstein's picture
Manhattan Beach, CA

Vehicles
2006 E350
1986 300E
5 speed manual

Just for information, I own an 86 300e 5 speed for almost 5 yrs. Got it from the original owner who had to special order it as no dealers had one in stock.
Its all original, and has 130k and is great on the highway. If driven carefully
at freeway speeds, it will return almost 30 mpg at 75 mph. At 80 mph the tach shows 2400rpm! My wife has a new E350, but I love my old 300e, we are old
friends.

Paul Brounstein
86 300e 5/sp
87 300e
06 E350
72 BMW 3.0csi

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Why is it like this

I was looking around in eBay German came aross many simple 300Es with 5 speed manuals. As been said they mostly have cloth interior and roll up windows, there simple and to the point but I have not idea were to start. It would cost me much more then I would aspected it to cost if I wanted to swap out my transmission, is their any other way. If their isn't am just going to drop the project and search, and get a 190E 5 speed manual and find my liking to it. Would that be a better way to go or may I say look at it. I really don't want to get me a 190E the 300E is got more power the better look and more reliable in my case of thinking.