not-front-rule

300SD instrument cluster removal

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

5 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Simple question. How do you remove the cluster? The service CD is not specific. Do you have to have all 5 spring clips compressed with tools at once? Can you make a "tool" with a coathanger? If so how long is the bent end? Please help. Thanks

Jim

Share this
George Murphy's picture
Oak Ridge, TN

Vehicles
1999 C43 AMG

What year? On 126 modes, reach up from under teh dash and push the cluster out from behind enough to get your hand in to disconnect the speedometer cable and wiring . . .

Regards,

George Murphy

MBCA Technical Director

865-482-9175

1999 C43 AMG

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
cluster removal

Sorry, I forgot to say that it is a 1981 300SD (a 126 chassis). Will try to push it out. Thanks.

Dana Ruthers's picture
Lexington, KY

Vehicles
1992 500SL
1993 500SEL
1995 E300 Diesel

Be VERY careful when disconnecting the cables from the back. It is very easy for the plug that supplies power to the speedometer to come apart leaving you with 6 leads that have no clue as to where they go.:eek: It costs around $125 to have a dealer put them back....I tried using the schematics on the CD, but the colours don't match the ones in my car (84 300SD). Be careful!:o

RivermasterNC's picture
Burnsville, NC

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1989 560SL
1986 300SDL
Remove the Instruments - Photos

Jim:

I did a photo page of this procedure on my website to help some friends. Here's the link:

http://web.infoave.net/~ontheriver/automobiles/w126ip.htm

-Scott

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I got it out using a modified coat hanger times 2. Put one in a left and one on right and gently popped the panel out. NO PROBLEMA!