not-front-rule

New CLA Ad Featuring Kate Upton

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

21 replies [Last post]
NYYYCEandEEEEZY's picture
Rhinebeck, NY

Vehicles
1989 560SL

Any thoughts or comments about the new M-B CLA ad featuring Kate Upton blowing and strutting around in front of a bunch of young men washing the car?

Share this

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!

Family M-Bs, Past and Present:
1960 190SL-Mine...Sold
1963 190SL-Dad's...Sold
1989 580SL-Ours!
1996 280C-Wife's DD...Sold
2010 C300-Son & DIL's
2014 E350 Luxury-Ours

abiby's picture
Mulkeytown, IL

Vehicles
1996 SL500
1982 380SL
Yeah... I'd wash her CLA any

Yeah... I'd wash her CLA any time, any place.

Alan

Some times you just need a bigger hammer.

gerryvz's picture
The Woodlands, TX

Vehicles
1995 E320 Wagon
1994 E500
1990 560SEL
1989 560SEC
This same commercial came up

This same commercial came up a couple of days ago on my forum.  

Here's the thread..... http://www.500eboard.com/forums/showthread.php?3765-Mercedes-CLA

syracusea's picture
Manhasset, NY

Vehicles
2014 C300 4MATIC
2009 E350 4MATIC Wagon
2009 C300 4MATIC
When are they showering the

When are they showering the commerical?

-Andrew 2009 NYC-Long Island Section

My Car: 2009 C300 4Matic Luxury Sedan

My Dads Car: 2014 C300 4Matic Luxury Sedan

My Moms car: 2009 E350 4Matic Station Wagon
              (soon to be my brothers car)

Keeping it in the family.

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
syracusea wrote:When are they

syracusea wrote:
When are they showering the commerical?

umm, when there's enough hot water?

The Biggest Bargain from Germany Since Werner Von Braun

abiby's picture
Mulkeytown, IL

Vehicles
1996 SL500
1982 380SL
Superbowl...

Superbowl...

Alan

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
Well, that makes sense.

Well, that makes sense. There are a lot of showers in the locker rooms.

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
And here's the ad -- or at least one of them.

And here's the ad.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPNr0_6MnDo&feature=share

tag line: Under $30,000 -- you don't have to make a deal with the devil for it.

Fun ad and the car is looking nicer and nicer.

Gary

Gary Anderson Editor, The Star
2005 C55 AMG
Member, San Francisco Bay Area Section
Secretary, MBCA Educational Foundation
Vintage racing driver, track driving instructor

NYYYCEandEEEEZY's picture
Rhinebeck, NY

Vehicles
1989 560SL
Few would probably question

Few would probably question the fact that Ms. Upton has very attractive, curvy, flowing lines allowing for excellent mileage, and her chassis and undercarriage would probably hold up very well even for off-road use, but I was really looking for any thoughts or comments on whether Mercedes Benz, a long-standing and generally well respected manufacturer of fine automobiles for the better part of 125 years (if you consider the name Benz first appearing in 1886) may have cheapened it's image slightly.

With all due respect and full appreciation for how skillfully Ms. Upton's blows bubbles, I must admit I was just a little surprised! 

Robert AKA: EEEEZY
You can't get us confused. I'm also "Nice", but NYYYCE is NEVER "Easy"!

Family M-Bs, Past and Present:
1960 190SL-Mine...Sold
1963 190SL-Dad's...Sold
1989 580SL-Ours!
1996 280C-Wife's DD...Sold
2010 C300-Son & DIL's
2014 E350 Luxury-Ours

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
NYYYCEandEEEEZY wrote: Few

NYYYCEandEEEEZY wrote:

Few would probably question the fact that Ms. Upton has very attractive, curvy, flowing lines allowing for excellent mileage, and her chassis and undercarriage would probably hold up very well even for off-road use, but I was really looking for any thoughts or comments on whether Mercedes Benz, a long-standing and generally well respected manufacturer of fine automobiles for the better part of 125 years (if you consider the name Benz first appearing in 1886) may have cheapened it's image slightly.

With all due respect and full appreciation for how skillfully Ms. Upton's blows bubbles, I must admit I was just a little surprised! 

I take it that you don't spend much time on the Mercedes Benz TV site.  The videos that Daimler Mercedes shows the world do tend to feature the fair of face and body there.wink

http://www.youtube.com/user/MercedesBenzTV

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
commercials

In this interesting interview, Steve Cannon unveils the new "deal with the devil" commercial for the superbowl, and also comments on the car and the Upton car-wash comments. Note the comment that the commercial production and placement cost MBUSA "eight figures".

http://startingpoint.blogs.cnn.com/2013/01/30/exclusive-mercedes-benz-debuts-super-bowl-ad/

G,

2005 C55 AMG

rlombardo's picture
Silver Spring, MD

Vehicles
2009 E350
NYYYCEandEEEEZY wrote:Few

NYYYCEandEEEEZY wrote:

Good question. It depends upon the execution of the CLA. Let's say it offers Golf R or R32 style performance while avoiding VW's tendency towards questionable reliability, and does so In attractive and affordable package. Stated differently, MB preserves the traditional attributes of the marque, but translates them, if you will, into a package that appeals to younger and more enthusiastic drivers. I think in such a scenario MB avoids any depreciation of its brand and broadens its appeal. This is what MB did in 1984, btw, with the w201.

Let's say, however, that MB misses on executing the car properly, and you have a stylish looking vehicle that has sub-par reliability and apparently suffers from build quality issues. Then you have a car that cheapens and damages the brand, and turns off a group of buyers who will not move up e MB food chain to a more expense Benz. This would be a big loss.

So, in short, it depends on the execution, in my opinion.

Greater Washington Section
'09 MB E350
'86 MB 190E 2.3-16
'12 Honda Pilot
'94 BMW 740i 

abiby's picture
Mulkeytown, IL

Vehicles
1996 SL500
1982 380SL
I feel this new-fangled idea

I feel this new-fangled idea of having attractive women in MB advertising is just wrong...   

Mein Benz c. 1914

mercedes_benz_mein_benz.jpg

Alan

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
(No subject)

rlombardo's picture
Silver Spring, MD

Vehicles
2009 E350
Great old advertisements you

Great old advertisements you both found.

Greater Washington Section
'09 MB E350
'86 MB 190E 2.3-16
'12 Honda Pilot
'94 BMW 740i 

stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
2005 G500
1982 240D
1973 220D
1971 280SL
1971 220
1963 220SEb
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
First of all, I feel that the

First of all, I feel that the styling of this car is significantly better than I initially thought based upon the original static images that I saw. The portrayal of a hip young guy driving enthusiastically and swarmed with hot chickies begs the question of why this car is not available with a manual transmission. That's really quite a letdown!
As far as the commercial cheapening the image- it definitely does, but MB is trying to appeal to a younger mass market so it may have no choice.

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
Why would you expect a manual transmission

Why would you expect a manual transmission? Mercedes doesn't do manual transmissions for the same reason that Steve Jobs stopped doing 3-inch floppy discs-- they're technically obsolete. What you WILL have on this car is a dual-clutch selectable automatic, built on the same principles as the tranny in the SLS. All the fun and low lap times of those old last-century manuals, but with none of the fuss and bother of a clutch -- just like the fast-boys drive in Formula One. But I appreciate your emphasis on your prowess with those old trannies. Sounds like my father, always pooh-poohing my synchro tranny and  proud that he could double-clutch the crash box on the old Plymouth and push the right pedal at the right time on the T-Model's planetary tranny.

G.

2005 C55 AMG

stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
2005 G500
1982 240D
1973 220D
1971 280SL
1971 220
1963 220SEb
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
The modern trannies you speak

The modern trannies you speak of may be faster, superior, etc., but for me, driving a manual is just more fun. It has always appealed to a younger crowd and offers a more sporty driving experience around town. On a racetrack, I'm sure things are different but these cars are made for everyday driving experiences. Other car manufacturers that appeal to a younger crowd such as BMW, Audi, VW all offer manual transmissions in their smaller models. If Mercedes wishes to compete in that market then they should do the same.

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
BMW dropped the manual for

BMW dropped the manual for the M5 this year. Manual transmission sales worldwide is likely more a reflection of lower sticker prices abroad on the smaller Eco boxes. In the US, manual transmissions sold in new cars is about 6%. A manual transmission is easy to bump start and provides a bit of theft deterrence as some thieves don't drive stick. When you have a dog-leg first manual box, it provides a chuckle when valets and car wash guys stall the engine in front of everyone.

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
Let's go back to beauty in advertising

Realized I'm beating the same dead horse here -- "enthusiasts" will continue to argue a manual is better until they die, but the low take rate numbers in the U.S. just don't justify the added complexity and training and spare parts required to maintain them. Eat your heart out: the CLA as sold in Europe will have a manual, as we saw in Detroit.

So, we might as well go back to arguing whether sex in advertising sells, noting that every major network has run clips of the Upton ad on their main news programs morning and evening as an added bonus to the SuperBowl and Facebook/Youtube play for which they're paying. MBUSA definitely got it right this time in terms of making a big splash.

2005 C55 AMG

MTI
MTI's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2011 GLK350
1999 C280
1985 190E
I would say a moderate splash

I would say a moderate splash . . . the news coverage is all about the controversy over the VW ads.

stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
2005 G500
1982 240D
1973 220D
1971 280SL
1971 220
1963 220SEb
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
editorgary wrote:Realized I'm

editorgary wrote:
Realized I'm beating the same dead horse here -- "enthusiasts" will continue to argue a manual is better until they die, but the low take rate numbers in the U.S. just don't justify the added complexity and training and spare parts required to maintain them. Eat your heart out: the CLA as sold in Europe will have a manual, as we saw in Detroit.

So, we might as well go back to arguing whether sex in advertising sells, noting that every major network has run clips of the Upton ad on their main news programs morning and evening as an added bonus to the SuperBowl and Facebook/Youtube play for which they're paying. MBUSA definitely got it right this time in terms of making a big splash.

True, but many BMW 3 series are sold with manual transmissions. I doubt that all those buyers are "enthusiasts". The CLA is supposed to pick up the same demographic as does the 3 series. It should, in my opinion, therefore have an available manual transmission.

Sex always works in advertising. I had a high school history teacher who insisted that almost everything we do is to make us attractive to the opposite sex. A bit extreme but true on many fronts. Mercedes won't go wrong taking this approach either:)