not-front-rule

headlight restoration

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
Ed Schwab's picture
Alexandria, VA

Vehicles
1998 E300 Turbo Diesel

I ran across this 20 minute video today on restoring headlights that have aged.  It shows sanding using a 3M product and then an acrylic werks product.  I don't know anymore than what is in the video.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PEjJTuqJfw&feature=related

Ed Schwab

Share this

Ed Schwab 98 E300DT

Graham's picture
Bath, ON

Vehicles
2014 GLK250 BlueTEC
1998 E320 Sedan
1985 300DT
1972 350SL
I refurbished my headlights

I refurbished my headlights recently. At first bought a Turtle wax kit, but it really didn't have enough material to do all 4 lights. I bought some wet/dry sandpaper in 600/1000/2000 grits (no 3000 was available) and a can of Meguires fine polishing compound. Wet sanded the lenses with increasing grit paper. Then hand polished with polish paste and finally machine buffed using a 4" foam pad. Just like polishing clearcoat repairs. Finish was bright and clear. Finally applied a coat or two of PlastX (Meguires).

The lenses have a coating to protect the polycarbonate (Lexan) from abrasion and common chemicals that can cause cracking in polycarbonate (solvents, alkalis, some detergents that can be present in common cleaning materials.)  This coating yellows and needs to be removed mechanically using the wet/dry sandpaper. This leaves the lenses kind of dull, but the polishing corrects this. The PlastX is an attempt to coat the lenses, but really this step should be application of a UV resistant clearcoat (Often UV light cured). But for me, the PlastX will suffice - just need redoing more often.

Former Member
herky210's picture
Pinehurst, NC

Vehicles
2000 E320 Sedan
3M

I used the 3M system you get for about $25 at the parts stores. The application is similar to the video you posted. It was an amazing difference - my headlights looked brand new. I also had better illumination at night.

Highly recommend spending the money and taking the couple of hours to do this.