not-front-rule

Poor Radio Reception In CLK

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
MB88SL's picture
Fresno, CA

Vehicles
1983 300DT
1988 560SL
2001 CLK320
2009 E350
2010 C300

I have a 2001 CLK that I have owned since new.  The radio reception has always been weak or poor.  I have brought this up several times over the years with the dealer who dismisses it.  I have over the years seen similar complaints by others posted on forums but with no real answers.  Recently I have seen comments about replacing an antenna booster. I have always suspected there is an issue that is not limited  to my car and by now I suspect that there are MBCA members know more about this than most dealers so I would appreciate your experience and comments on how to address this.  Since I seem to acquire cars but not part with them and still enjoy this car it is time to solve this issue.

Share this
MB88SL's picture
Fresno, CA

Vehicles
1983 300DT
1988 560SL
2001 CLK320
2009 E350
2010 C300
Problem Solved !!!

After 10 years I have finally sovled the problem of poor radio reception in my 208 CLK.  After reading posts and articles on the antenna booster and then talking to the local shop I use, I decided the problem had to be related to the antenna booster.  Posts indicated many were bad and the shop told me as I continued to press the issue over the years they had also seen problems with the connections.  I pulled the panel to get to the antenna booster (above passenger side rear seat) to take a good look at the booster and check connectors before I planned on ordering a new booster.  I unplugged the connectors and re- plugged them back in and problem was solved.  I now get stations clearly that previouly were weak and local AM stations never have the periodic static they did at times in the past.  The total cost of solving the problem was $0 and about 1/2 of my time when I finally figured it out.  I am coming up on 11 years with the car and it is unbelievable I put up with this for so long and no one could quickly address it depite how many times I brought it up.  I have become convinced over the years that there are common problems well known to Mercedes and the dealers they just do not want to talk about and problems that involved owners know more about solving than service departments.  Hence the importance of posting not only the problem but solution when found.  Hope this helps others.  If you want info on where the antenna booster is and how to get to it see post at www.mbworld.org/forums/clk-class-w208/245536-diy-antenna...

Ag Arrow's picture
Scottsdale, AZ

Vehicles
2006 SLK350
2006 ML350
1989 560SL
Wow, well thanks for posting

Wow, well thanks for posting and sharing a simple fix for such an annoying issue! Your contribution will hopefully prevent someone somewhere from their 10 years of grief!

Matt

M. Crawford
Desert Stars Section
Newsletter Editor, The StarDust
Member MBCA Website & Technology Committee 

Master the Mission; Communicate the Vision; Live the Values