not-front-rule

How to replace brake rotors on 2006 C230 sport sedan?

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
rwmastel's picture
Powell, OH

Vehicles
2006 C230
1980 450SL
1966 230SL

Hello fellow members,

I have replaced the brake pads on my 2006 C230 sport sedan a few times and that is a very simple process.  Having done well in 1st grade, I now need to graduate to 2nd grade and learn how to replace front and rear rotors.  The dealer says the brakes & rotors need replaced on rear axle, both are at 5% remaining.  I would like to do this myself because:

- I am a DIY person, when it makes sense.
- I like to be involved in my cars maintenance.
- I want to save money.
- I do MBCA driving events, and would like to be able to put on performance pads AND rotors for track events.

I tried using the search function on this site, but didn't find any "how-to" articles on the topic.  Please point me to them, if you can find them, or please start our own how-to article in this thread.

As a bonus question, where would you recommend I buy stainless steel flexible brake lines?  I guess 3rd grade includes replacing brake lines and flushing fluid.

Thanks,
Rodd

Share this

Rodd
MBCA Member since 1999
Present:  2006 C230, 1966 230SL, 1980 450SL
Past:  1994 E420

stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
2005 G500
1982 240D
1973 220D
1971 280SL
1971 220
1963 220SEb
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
I've never replaced rotors on

I've never replaced rotors on a "modern" Mercedes but it's probably not much different than on my older cars. Anyway, while you're at it you might want to inspect and repack your front wheel bearings. I like using a dial indicator to make sure the hub is not too tight or loose.

rwmastel's picture
Powell, OH

Vehicles
2006 C230
1980 450SL
1966 230SL
stricht8 wrote:.... while

stricht8 wrote:
.... while you're at it you might want to inspect and repack your front wheel bearings. I like using a dial indicator to make sure the hub is not too tight or loose.
Please explain this dial indicator of which you speak.  Not familiar with what it is or how to use it.  And, with wheel bearings, don't you need a press to put them into the rotor?  I don't have a press.

Anyone out there among our 20,000 members ever change brake rotors on a W203 C-Class???  Come on people, speak up!  Don't make me go search the forums at mbworld.org and benzworld.org for answers.  Help make my membership pay off.  (Not that you have to be a member to post here, so maybe that's a moot point?)

Rodd

Rodd
MBCA Member since 1999

stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
2005 G500
1982 240D
1973 220D
1971 280SL
1971 220
1963 220SEb
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
The dial indicator is an

The dial indicator is an instrument that can be used to measure the end play of the hub. You attach it to the rotor via a magnetic base or clamp and then measure the amount of movement against the spindle.

The bearings themselves don't need a press. You just clean them out and repack with grease. If they need replacement ( bluing, scoring, pitting of the tapered rollers or of the races) then you need to replace them along with the races. It is the races that need to be "pressed into place". This can actually be done by using the old race and gently tappng the new one into place thus evenly distributing the force.

rwmastel's picture
Powell, OH

Vehicles
2006 C230
1980 450SL
1966 230SL
I already had the bearings

I already had the bearings replaced on the left front wheel.  I had to tell the dealership twice (separate visits)  that the grease around the inner surface of the wheel was not supposed to be there!

I think I understand how a dial indicator works.  I'll just google it, a picture is worth a thousand words.

When I get into this job I want to be schooled BEFORE it gets underway, not AFTER, so I may be asking a lot of detailed questions in this thread over the next month or so.

Rodd
MBCA Member since 1999

glisch's picture
Delafield, WI

Vehicles
2003 C230
rotor replacement

If you have replaced pads before, then you are almost done. With the rotor replacement, you have two caliper retaining bolts that are on the back of the caliper that must be removed. This is after the pads are already out. The rotor will pull off or may need a little help with a hammer as it may be stuck to the hub. The hardest part for me on my last job (c230  sport 2003) was getting the rotor alignment screw out. These must be removed before removing the rotor. They align the rotor to the hub and keep it in place. They can get very corroded and may be difficult to remove. I use penetrating oil and an impact tool. Once off, use anti-seize so you don't have the same problem the next time. Another thing to be aware of is that some of the rotor corosion will often attach to the hub. This must be completely cleaned off or the rotor will not spin true.

Good luck

Jim

Jim G.

merrill's picture
Austin, TX

Vehicles
1998 C230
1978 300D
1966 230SL
if you are going to do the

if you are going to do the rear.  be sure to put the car in Neutral before you jack the rear up.

once you get the rear caliper and parts off you may have to spin the rear rotor and tap it with a hammer to get it off.

the last time i did the job the rotors were stuck to the hub.  I had the caliper off when i realized i needed to get the car into neutral.
i had to press the brake to get the transmission into N so i had to take measures to keep the caliper from coming  apart when pressing the brake pedal...

it is an easy job.  just take your time