not-front-rule

Condensation on inside of windshield

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
Burt Levy's picture
Seaford, NY

Vehicles
2013 C250 Coupe
2010 E350 4MATIC
1978 450SL

Due to medical issues I do not get to drive my cars as often as I would like. We have had a great deal of snow in the part of the country where I live and I last drove my 2010 E350 several weeks ago before we had some snow storms. Yesterday I needed to use my car and when got into the interior  the first thing I noticed was condensation on the inside of the windshield. I have never had this issue before and I would like to know if I should be concerned. Is there anything I can do to rectify this problem.

Share this

Burt Levy Member, NYC Long Island Section

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
Condensation?

On a 2010 E350, I wouldn't be too concerned yet. Keep in mind that you've never, or at least not in ten years, had the kind of weather that you folks have been afflicted with recently, and back then, the car may not have been quite so airtight as this car. First suggestion: as soon as it's sunny, park the car outside in the sunlight and leave it open for an hour or so. Wipe everything down to make sure that the condensation doesn't create any other problems. Then go back to driving it as you normally would. If the problem returns when the weather gets back to something resembling normal, then have your dealer determine if there's some sort of one-off problem with your HVAC (heating, ventilating, and air conditioning) system.
Gary

Gary Anderson Editor, The Star
2005 C55 AMG
Member, San Francisco Bay Area Section
Secretary, MBCA Educational Foundation
Vintage racing driver, track driving instructor

Administrator
Alex's picture
Long Island City, NY

Vehicles
2004 Sprinter
2004 CL500
2004 C320
1981 300TD
Condensation

Burt,

Since condensation is due to moisture inside the car, I can think of two sources, even if nothing is wrong with the car's air handling system:

1.  Is there a water leak in the car allowing some water accumulation that you can't see, such as under the carpets.

2.  Was your jacket or your pants wet when you got into the car.

Either of the above will cause the windshield to fog up.

Alex Rosner
Member, NYC-Long Island Section
Member, MBCA Technology Committee

Burt Levy's picture
Seaford, NY

Vehicles
2013 C250 Coupe
2010 E350 4MATIC
1978 450SL
Condensation

When I noticed the condensation it was on on the windshield above what I assume are vents. I have used my car on many cold rainy days without this condensation occurring. The only thing I can assume is that I had the heater on before I exited the car and the trapped warm air  together with the low temp. outside created an atmosphere conducive for the formation of condensation.

Burt Levy Member, NYC Long Island Section

Edward J. Boyd's picture
Southold, NY

Vehicles
None
Don't worry about it.  The

Don't worry about it.  The snow on the windshield acted as an insulating barrier keeping the glass cold which allowed moisture inside the car to condense with changing outside conditions following the storm.  It's gone now, isn't it?  Same thing happened with one of my trucks that was not driven for several days following the snow.