not-front-rule

Wenol

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
Allen's picture
Four Oaks, NC

Vehicles
2007 E350 Sedan

Have any of you ever used Wenol metal cleaner / polish?  I have used all kinds of stuff but never  this.  Due to my current restoration project, I was urged to try this to clean heavily tarnished brass.  I am restoring a brass bell that came off of a Southern Railroad Steam Engine #440 which was a Baldwin 2-8-0, manufactured around 1900-1903.  I acquired  the bell from the gentleman that got it when this engine was being scrapped in 1950.  So, I've got over 100 years of tarnish to remove and am looking any advice from anyone that may have experience polishing brass.  I have used Flitz on other items, tried it on this, along with Brasso but still have a lot of work to do.   The Flitz has done ok, but............  still got a lot of polishing to do.  

Share this

Content Manager
editorgary's picture
Los Altos, CA

Vehicles
2005 C55 AMG
Wenol

Probably one of the best for polishing brass, and an old stand-by. Our drill sergeants in officer candidate school in 1969 had it shipped back from Germany for us to use to polish brass. There are probably some high-tech modern formulations that can beat it, but for brass and chrome it is terrific. Be careful though; with hard extended use it will wear right through any chrome that doesn't have a thick top layer.

Gary

Gary Anderson Editor, The Star
2005 C55 AMG
Member, San Francisco Bay Area Section
Secretary, MBCA Educational Foundation
Vintage racing driver, track driving instructor

neptune's picture
Mountlake Terrace, WA

Vehicles
1971 280SEL
Its my favourite polish for

Its my favourite polish for bare aluminum, but I've never used it on brass that I can recall.
I think I've tried most of the aluminum polishes available on my BBS RA rims, and Wenol leaves a slightly better shine than the rest for only a small price increase. Easy to use and doesn't smell too bad either.

Its hard to find at auto parts stores around here, but most decent kitchen shops will carry it for polishing stainless, and motorcycle shops tend to sell it too. I think I've seen it at Restoration Hardware and places like that as well.

1971 280 SEL
1981 Volvo 242 Turbo | 1980 Volvo Bertone Coupe

280SE Guy's picture
Southeast, PA

Vehicles
1971 280SE
Wenol

Wenol will be your first plan of attack for 100 plus years of tarnish. If you use some sort of buffing wheel with the Wenol after much work you should be able to break through the tarnish and get to the real brass underneath. Yes it is a lot of work to be sure. After you have accomplished a clean shinny brass surface try some Cap Cod polish to get a better shine. After the Cape Cod polish I usually clean the part with Simple Green and warm water. Follow the dry cleaned part with some Carnuba wax or for a lasting finish with a clear lacquer.

The Cape Cod polish works on all types of metals, brass, aluminum, chrome, etc. and is probably the finest "grit" polish for metals I have found, and it smells good, a prerequisite for a fun time. Always use the least invasive cleaner / polish first.

Oh, oh I just let one of my secrets go for all to see, here are some examples:

Regards,

280SE Guy

Highway Star's picture
Mount Horeb, WI

Vehicles
1985 300DT
You polished the exhaust heat

You polished the exhaust heat shield???

You, sir, have surpassed me, I proclaim you Most Obsessed With A Car, and I hand over my crown.

*edit*
I re-read your post, you used a buffing wheel, I everything I polish, I do by hand.

*takes back crown*

280SE Guy's picture
Southeast, PA

Vehicles
1971 280SE
Polished Exhaust Heat Shield

Highway Star,

You can keep your crown. In the use of a polishing wheel I was instructing the original poster who was polishing a 100+ year old heavily tarnished brass bell from a locomotive.

My heat shield was hand polished.

I have my own crown that can be seen here.

Regards,

280SE Guy

Tom Hanson's picture
Arrowhead Farms, CA

Vehicles
1970 300SEL 6.3
I used to use that stuff all

I used to use that stuff all the time. Never found a better metal polish. Where did you find it? I haven't seen it in stores out here for at least a decade.

Tom Hanson
Supervisor, Parts Operations
Mercedes-Benz Classic Center USA
MBUSA, LLC
thomas.hanson@mbusa.com
949 598-4842 direct.

Prior MB cars: 2010 ML350 Bluetec, 2003 C320 Coupe, 1986 300SDL, 1971 300SEL 6.3, 1973 450SE, 1959 220S, 2011 C300

Allen's picture
Four Oaks, NC

Vehicles
2007 E350 Sedan
Wenol

You can order it at wenolit.com or believe it or not, I found some at the Williams Sonoma store.  If you order it, it's $10 per tube and $10 freight.  I was so excited to find it in the store.  The Wenol works better than any other polish I have tried, but removing 100 years of tarnish from a brass bell in spare time is taking a while, but the bell is going to be a nice addition to my train layout.