not-front-rule

Need advice on what color to paint w111

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
leenart1's picture
santa rosa, CA

Vehicles
None

I need some input on what color to paint my car. I've got a 1965 220 se coupe. The car originally was black leather and white paint.
I pulled the interior and changed it to blood red leather. I redid the wood and am finishing the chrome. I re-chromed the bumpers, taillight bezels, door handles, some interior parts, and some of the exterior window trim last year. I'm now sending the remaining window trim and headlight trim out for chroming. The has euro headlights and will have the euro license lights.

I'm replacing the headliner, and the main trunk floor and left wheel well, We are also doing a 6 inch square replacement at the left outer rear quarter panel. Also additional fabricating to the front quarter panel chassis due to battery acid corrosion to the metal.

Original quote was $9000+/- with me buying the sheet metal ($750) to paint it white (it's original color). For that amount of money, I want something I will keep forever. A midnight blue with blood red leather is my dream car. I used to own a 1969 280 se with red leather and was midnight blue. With the chrome work, the midnight blue was just total eye candy to me.`

To paint the car blue, I am thinking of pulling the radiator, intake manifold, master brake and brake booster, all electrical lines, brake lines, fuel lines, etc. within the engine compartment and the firewall pad. I have pulled the interior so the dash, inside wheel wells can be painted blue. The doors will be removed, completely striped of attachments and everything painted blue.

Tell me what you think; if someone put a 220se coupe up for sale with 90% of the chrome done, new leather interior, 10K in paint/body work. New headliner, working trany and engine (has about 60K on the rebuild), but also said it was originally a white with black interior, yet you could not see the original colors. Would that be a problem for you?

How critical are people on the original color specs? If you do respond please also state your level of involvement in these cars; owners of other 111, 108, 113's. I really want to get feedback from other owners, but general feedback is well appreciated
thanks Leonard 

Share this
badali's picture
Butler, PA

Vehicles
2005 CLK500 Cabriolet
1966 230SL
Since the car had a color

Since the car had a color change already it won't really make a difference to someone if it is done completely and still looks correct.  Only concours judging would take away points for the paint code.  If you like the color and are keeping it for a long time make it the way you want it.

Brad

1966 230 SL
2005 CLK 500 Cabriolet
2013 Subaru Impreza Premium
2014 Subaru Impreza Limited

leenart1's picture
santa rosa, CA

Vehicles
None
..just waiting on the rocker

..just waiting on the rocker chrome. Car is a joy.

P5220010.JPG P5220011.JPG P5220013.JPG P5220014.JPG
stricht8's picture
Weston, MA

Vehicles
1958 300d SEDAN A/T
1963 220SEb
1971 220
1971 280SL
1973 220D
1982 240D
2005 G500
Well, I guess midnight blue

Well, I guess midnight blue it is. It looks nice.

DukeG's picture
BENTONVILLE, AR

Vehicles
2006 R500
2003 E320
1972 280SE
great color selection

that is a great color you picked!
it highlights the car´s lines and gives it a very elegant look.
Cheers!

---------------------------------
2006 R500
2003 E320
1972 280SE 4.5
past: 1998 C230K

larryled's picture
Alexandria, VA

Vehicles
1966 250SE Coupe
Sweet!

You're well on the way.  Think about adding the fender trim.  With that color, the chrome at the fenders adds just the right amount of glitz!   I also like your front running lights, they make the car "rich" looking from the front..  I also have a 111, a 66 250SE/C that has both those items.   Who's doing your chrome?  And are you happy with price and quality?  I have a few things for your car, mostly used, let me know if you need something.  From this end, I need the original hose clamps for the engine compartment.  Can you help?  Cheers, Larry

Marrs's picture
Portland, OR

Vehicles
1962 220SEb
Very nice! +1 on the wheel

Very nice! +1 on the wheel well chrome, something I normally despise on cars but would look great on this one.
I have a W111 coupe from 1962, mine is Papyrus over oxblood leather. If I were buying your car I would not be concerned over the color whatsoever since it has been done to a degree where you cannot see any of the old color. I buy my cars to be drivers tho, not show winners, so that's my personal perspective. If I was buying a car for concours, I would likely have it stripped down totally anyway, or buy a survivor with original paint to restore, and yours isn;t either of those so again, no harm done in my book.

Enjoy her and drive the wheels off, she's a beauty!

1962 220SE W111 Coupe
1999 C230 Kompressor W202