not-front-rule

2006 C230 engine oil

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

8 replies [Last post]
avenger74350's picture

Made a few searches about this topic. Found some useful info.

Main questions after lots of reading:

1. Changing the oil is the same as any car. Drain, change oil filter cartridge, refill, check quantity.

Q: Where is the engine oil filter? Is it the black housing directly below the front engine snapped on cover, has the MB and V6 logos on it?

2. Owner's manual calls to have 8.5 US quarts.

Q: Seriously??!! Don't want this to be a stupid question but every owner's manual I've had shows the quantity it takes to get a correct reading...Is this the amount to be added to get a correct fill after draining the engine oil? I thought having a small V6 wouldn't require more than 6 quarts of oil to get a correct fill. My 4.6 liter 281 cubic inch engine doesn't even take that much nor does my 5.4L!

3. I read the Factory Approved Service Products and saw the different oils/weights that can be used on this engine.

Q: What type of oil do you guys use? fyi my car only has 23k miles on it.

Thanks

Share this

~Alex

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC
Re: 2006 C230 engine oil

First of all, get over the notion Mercedes are "same as any car."

Mercedes are designed for motor oil to be removed from engine by vacuuming it out the dipstick tube with a tool designed for that. My favorite is by Mity Vac and you have the choice of hand pumping or connecting the cooler model to shop air. You can drain it from the bottom, but you'll likely have to take off lots of underengine sound paneling, etc., and when you do that a few times it may not fit as well as intended.

If you do drain from the oil pan, remember that on German vehicles all washers used in sealing capacities are always discarded and replaced with new ones. Every time.

There's absolutely no reason to doubt your owners manual--the engine does indeed require the amount of oil listed therein. These are high performance engines designed--and very often used--to run at triple-digit Autobahn speeds for extended periods. Most "small V6" you may be aware of aren't in the same league (not even close).

Mercedes use cartridge type oil filters and therefore no metal is thrown away, just paper. The filter fits in a canister with a plastic lid that looks like a metal oil filter and this lid is removed/reinstalled with a typical oil filter tool. It is indeed accessed from the top. Lots of o-ring replacement accompanies this process. Don't tighten any tighter than 25 nm (newton meters not foot pounds) Best to use only "fleece" filters bought from a Mercedes dealer.

Yes, ALWAYS use an oil approved by Mercedes, in your case to specification MB 229.5. The easiest way to meet this specification is Mobil 1 0W-40. NO OTHER Mobil 1 that you can find outside of a dealer meets this specification. 0W-30 doesn't, 5w-40 doesn't, 15W-50 doesn't, etc. There are some other brand oils that meet the proper spec, but you won't find them in any local stores in all liklihood.

IMHO those without prior Mercedes experience should not really proceed with a DIY oil change unless advised in person by someone who has it OR following reading the official Mercedes procedures--which you can easily obtain by purchasing the Service DVD for your car, which is known as W203.
http://www.startekinfo.com/StarTek/outside/9124/?requestedDocId=9124

avenger74350's picture

Well said,

Already have the new filter element w/ supplied o-rings. I'm familiar with the vac method, just never had to use it on an auto. before.

The only reason I used the term small V6 was due to the fact that it's still sold in the US, with no Autobahn and many speed limits. So please don't intend it as disrespect to the car or any thing...just the way my world has molded my mind.

By chance though, which other V6's are in this league?

Thanks for the info!

~Alex

Ferdman's picture
Chester Springs, PA

Vehicles
1998 E320 Sedan
1995 E320 Sedan
1991 300CE

Alex, I suspect the engine in your 2006 C230 has no oil dipstick and relies on an electronic readout of the oil level. If so, I recommend only adding 7 1/2 or 8 quarts of oil initially after draining the old oil and changing the filter, then run the engine and check the electronic readout for the oil level. If the oil level is low add 1/4 quart and check the electronic readout ... repeat this process until the oil level is proper. You want to avoid overfilling the engine. Our MB engines with a dipstick typically take 1/2 quart less than the Owner's Manual states ... of course, I maintain the oil level between the low and high marks. If the oil level is up to the high mark the engines quickly consumes 1/2 quart to maintain the mid-level point. As Kent states, Mobil 1 0W40 is the recommended oil for that vintage MB engine.

Fred Hoelzle

avenger74350's picture

It does have a dipstick. But also has an electronic readout. I read the instructions for checking it using the controls on the steering wheel. I like that very much! Kinda a sweet feature to the car. Thanks to all for the great info!

~Alex

avenger74350's picture

Been a long time!!!

Howdy folks,

It has been 2 years since my last (and first) oil change and I have completely forgotten where the drain plug is!! Last time I loosened the oil filter housing, drained the oil from the bottom, put new filter/o-rings, and then added oil. Sadly my memory didn't serve me enough when I took off the bottom panels yesterday and didn't know where the oil plug was. The transmission plug can be seen visibly, it is a torx tip plug. 

I searched this forum and another Mercedes forum (http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w203-c-class/1289934-how-diy-oil-change-your-c230.html) but none deals with this year engine (2006 C230 6 cylinder). 

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Thanks.

~Alex

Ed Schwab's picture
Alexandria, VA

Vehicles
1998 E300 Turbo Diesel
Here is a list of oils that

Here is a list of oils that can be used.

http://www.nexttechnology.us/mb/oil.html

Ed schwab

Ed Schwab 98 E300DT

avenger74350's picture

Electronic Readout?

Ed, thanks for the list but already had the correct oil. But I crawled under the car again today morning and found the drain plug. Was on the side of the oil pan, front left (facing the front). Got it done...... but read some where that the oil readout can be checked digitally on the computer inside the car. However, the owner's manual doesn't state this. Anyone have any luck checking the readout??

Here's some pics w/ my cell phone camera.
View facing rear of car

Facing rear of car

[QUOTE=Ed Schwab]

Here is a list of oils that can be used.

http://www.nexttechnology.us/mb/oil.html

Ed schwab

[/QUOTE]

~Alex

normajean's picture
Beaverdam, VA

Vehicles
2008 E320 BLUETEC
1983 300CD
dip stick

If you are fortunate enough to have an MB that has a dip stick, by all means use it.  Despite what some believe, an electronic readout is a representation and not always truth.