not-front-rule

2006 c230 balance shaft failure

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

9 replies [Last post]
2006c230Mike's picture

I just wanted to let everyone know that on a recent trip back from GA, the check engine light came on.

So I took the car to the local dealer who kept it three days.

A failure of the gear for the balance shaft caused the problem as the teeth broke and ended up in the oil pan.

It was covered under warranty since we only have 39K on the car.

They had to pull the engine and transmission to fix this.

So I may have to consider an extended warranty sometime next year.

Anyone else have issues with their car?

Share this
Scott Singer's picture
Baltimore, MD

Vehicles
None
Re: 2006 c230 balance shaft failure

you have a 4cyl supercharged engine?

how often and where were you getting your oil changes? plus what kind of oil?

have you checked at peachparts.com in their forum to find if other's have had the same failure?

I'll ask around and try to find out if it is a know issue or a random break.

2006c230Mike's picture

Scott Singer;171963 wrote:
you have a 4cyl supercharged engine?

how often and where were you getting your oil changes? plus what kind of oil?

have you checked at peachparts.com in their forum to find if other's have had the same failure?

I'll ask around and try to find out if it is a know issue or a random break.

Its a 6 cyl engine in the 2006. Oil changes have been done per Mercedes schedules and an additional one at 21K at a Mobil oil change place using Mobil One 5w40 I think.

The dealer said Mercedes had a batch of bad gears in some of the cars.

David Brittain's picture
Folsom, CA

Vehicles
2000 SL500
2009 C300 4MATIC

Mike:

That's scarey! I have a 2006 C230. Although I have only 17K on it, my warranty will expire at four years, which is November of this year.

I would be interested in knowing if any other members who have the same car have had this same problem.

Dave

David Brittain Folsom CA Sacramento Section

Former Member
ALUEB's picture

Vehicles
1979 450SLC

David Brittain;172396 wrote:
Mike:

That's scarey! I have a 2006 C230. Although I have only 17K on it, my warranty will expire at four years, which is November of this year.

I would be interested in knowing if any other members who have the same car have had this same problem.

Dave I have a C280 now with 69K plus miles on it and never had any engine related problems at all, except a crankcase sensor that is.:)

suds4333's picture

This is a common issue

We are done playing games with Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz refuses to accept responsibility publicly for the defect, although privately their dealers do admit the defect, so a class action case has been filed in the State of New Jersey. Here is a link to the complaint filed.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/10/07/Mercedes.pdf

Also, join our facebook page for updates:
Login | Facebook

suds4333's picture

This is a common issue

We are done playing games with Mercedes Benz. Mercedes Benz refuses to accept responsibility publicly for the defect, although privately their dealers do admit the defect, so a class action case has been filed in the State of New Jersey. Here is a link to the complaint filed.
http://www.courthousenews.com/2010/10/07/Mercedes.pdf

Also, join our facebook page for updates:
Login | Facebook

Scott P's picture

This is scary, whats up with the Balances Shafts in Mercedes?

March 2010 my engine light went on, it was one of the worst days of my life, $5,300.00 for a Balance Shaft. They said they had to take the entire engine out of my Mercedes C230 that only had 74,000 miles on it.

The service manager John and his boss said that this is very rare to have happened but I went straight to the Internet and found out differently.

Now, the work that Laguna Niguel Mercedes-Benz Dealership did, 8 months later and only 4200 miles since that repair, I need a new intake manifold and #2 exhaust Valve that is not seating. Another $2825.18 to fix this now!

The Dealership said they never toughed any of those things while working on the engine however the invoice they gave me says differently!

Add me to the Class Action Law Suit...please!!!

rwmastel's picture
Powell, OH

Vehicles
2006 C230
1980 450SL
1966 230SL
I have a 2006 c230 with about

I have a 2006 c230 with about 50,000 miles on it, with extended MB USA warranty through March 2012 and 100,000 miles.  I hope this does not happen to my car, but if it does, I hope it happens under warranty!!!!

Do we have a list of vehicle VIN numbers, or engine numbers, that this has happened to?

Rodd

Rodd
MBCA Member since 1999
Present:  2006 C230, 1966 230SL, 1980 450SL
Past:  1994 E420

rwmastel's picture
Powell, OH

Vehicles
2006 C230
1980 450SL
1966 230SL
I read the linked PDF, but in

I read the linked PDF, but in searching GOOGLE, I can not find reference to this.  What is the status?  (BTW - I found the engine numbers listed in the document.)

Rodd

Rodd
MBCA Member since 1999
Present:  2006 C230, 1966 230SL, 1980 450SL
Past:  1994 E420