not-front-rule

2005 SL500 Suspension Problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
kenvette02's picture
Wyomissing Park, PA

Vehicles
2012 SLK350 Roadster

Recently purchased 2005 SL500 (CPO car) and noticed that drivers side rear is lowering when parked, and raises when in motion. Front and passenger side stay firm, only drivers side rear appears to have problem. I am using the ABC confort mode but same is happening when sport mode is turned on. Has anyone else had this problem?

Share this

mrsl500's picture
Elk Grove, CA

Vehicles
2005 SL500
Re: 2005 SL500 Suspension Problem

Own a 2005 SL 500 since new - with over 45,000 miles. No such problem on mine. If this forum does not provide solution, then suggest finding a repair shop that you trust to check out and repair. Sounds like a fix is needed.

Tech 08's picture

Re: 2005 SL500 Suspension Problem

Hi Ken The front air matic struts were the problem most of the time,there is a seal repair kit at the dealer in such a case,but it would be the front that would start to drop down first mostly when the veh would sit over night,the rears were not really a problem on your veh.I would only take it to someone who can read out the codes in the airmatic,knows were the lines leak ,and can see if the valve in the pump was updated ,that was the cause of the rear going down the system would bleed off.Tech 08

jaywavering's picture

SL500 suspension problem

My 2004 SL500 did the same thing first left front would drop followed by left rear. Replaced both front stuts $1,300.00 a piece slowed the drop but still not totally solved plus car now road unbearably hard.  Shop recalibrated suspension three times better but still not good.  Next looking at the two pumps or the self leveling accumulators (one on each corner).  ABC red warning light still on.  Have spent thousands and problem still not fixed.

janka's picture
Highland, MI

Vehicles
2006 SL500
2006 SL 500 - Rear driver side higher than passenger side - ABC

Hello, Have a 2006 SL500 CPO, and the same pb. Car is 1/2 inch lower at rear passenger side, than at the rear driver side. No difference in the front. After a failure message on the dashboard, the ABC was checked. Pump, sensors, filter and fluid were replaced. My dealership is telling me, that everything is ok and that the 1 cm difference is "normal". Have you resolve your pb? How? Thanks in advance. Best, JC

Ron Martin's picture
Tampa, FL

Vehicles
2003 SL500
2007 CLK550
ABC Suspension Issues

Have a LATE 2003 SL500 with  AMG  SL2 package purchased new in August 2003..Car now has 6500 miles on it ..yes 6500 total miles and has been babied since new... Am currently noticing minor "seeps" on the rear struts ... Accordingly,have been researching my next steps...have read and reread nearly everything I can find on the ABC suspension system - including the MBWorld blogs ..I find that this space age  ABC suspension system - while really a neat way to keep the car flat in most every road situation can be a "money pit" ..Most  but not all of the issues involve strut problems - both front and rear ..sometimes caused by the four accumulators and or pump pressure (2900 PSI) over pressurizing aging seals and lines...and sometimes the  accumlators and /or pump. In my reading, I have noticed that the BIG "BLACK" SL uses "coil over struts" and sway bars vs.the CL's and SL's ABC suspension.

The Arnott Corp (in Orlando, FL) offers rebuilt ABC struts with a very attractive warranty at about $600 per strut which beats the local MB dealer's parts/ service offerings..(and continuing trips).. Having owned and loyally driven Mercedes since 1958 ..including a W198 with the sports package and a W107-026 Rally SLC 5.0,  I am very loyal (to a certain point) ..However,  since we supposedly  drive the car that is "engineered like no other"..or.."the best or nothing" ..I wonder why the R230's continuing weakest area is the really advanced ABC liquid suspension system ..While it is reasonably straight forward and understandable .. I wonder why it is more robust as aircraft hydraulics have become ..One would think for the new car sticker price that the subcontractors "QC" would  be more scrutinzed ... along with as those damn "flaps" or covers for the top mechanism ..which are no longer used in the R231   

My current options are to keep the ABC system - instead of "gutting it" and installing "StrutMasters' coil overs - which are static and give a much harsher,but predictable ride .BTW, Strutmasters ( in N.C)  offer an optional " Light kit" for a few extra dollars to avoid the ABC warning lights after the ABC struts are replaced... If I  retain  the ole ABC system.. I intend to rebuild it and make it as " bullet proof " (and dealer proof)   as possible by replacing all lines with stainless aircraft quality lines ..Siimply put I do not intend to spend the price of a used SL in ABC repairs and replacements any more than necessary ..

Comments  welcomed,

Cheers,

Ron Martin

John Rice's picture
Weddington, NC

Vehicles
2004 SL500
2004 S500 4MATIC
ABC

I have 2004 a SL500 that I purchased used with 23,750 miles on it in December 2013. I struggled whether or not to get the warranty, so I counseled with my trusted Service Advisor (12 years) at Hendrick Motors of Charlotte. He advised me to get it and I did. He said one problem could pay for it. He was sooooooooo right! I gladly paid the $50 deductible... warranty paid for itself. Whew!

To everything there is a season...