not-front-rule

2001 E320 OBDII Codes

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
Former Member
Barry's picture
Hendersonville, NC

Vehicles
2001 E320 Sedan
1994 SL500

My 2001 e320 recently had an issue.
After several hours of driving on a trip, the check engine light activated.
Upon having it checked, 3 codes surfaced:

1) Troubleshooting P0130: The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for oxygen sensor 1 in bank 1. (Oxygen sensor 1 is closest to the cylinder head before the catalytic converter, while oxygen sensors 2 & 3 are located further downstream and are typically mounted in or after the catalytic converter) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

Definition
HO2S 11 circuit condition (Heated Oxygen Sensor Bank 1 Sensor 1)

Explanation
The powertrain control module uses the oxygen sensor to calculate the air/fuel ratio in the exhaust.

Probable Causes
1.-Oxygen sensor defective
2.-Fuel system running very rich or lean – repair other codes first
3.-Engine misfire condition – repair
4.-Fuel pressure very high or low – fuel pump or pressure regulator

2) P0150: The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the electrical circuit for oxygen sensor 1 in bank 2. (Oxygen sensor 1 is closest to the cylinder head before the catalytic converter, while oxygen sensors 2 & 3 are located further downstream and are typically mounted in or after the catalytic converter) (bank 1 identifies the location of cylinder #1, while bank 2 identifies the cylinders on the opposite bank)

Same as above

3) P0400: The PCM has determined that a malfunction exists in the exhaust gas recirculation flow.

Troubleshooting P0400
EGR system fault (Exhaust Gas Recirculation)

Explanation
The ECM has detected too little flow on the EGR system

Probable Causes
1.-Blocked passage on EGR system
2.-Failed EGR valve
3.-EGR solenoid faulty
4.-Failed EGR pressure pensor where applicable
5.-Failed EGR position sensor where applicable

I had a 1995 E320 that would show similiar symptoms and it was a plugged EGR line. My mechanic said it was an issue with the straight 6 engine.

Anyway, I changed the two suspect O2 sensors on Saturday and took another 3 hour trip and gues what.......that's correct, the *#*#*#*# CEL is back on!!!
I'll check it when the sife returns with the car to see what is showing up now. I suspect something associated with the EGR system.

Any help would be appreciated.

Share this

BG Brown
Hendersonville, NC

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC
Re: 2001 E320 OBDII Codes

Your light came again on because you didn't do anything to fix the EGR fault.

On the M112/113 this is unfortunately not so often a "plugged line" but rather failure of the electric motor used to accomplish exhaust gas recirculation upon engine start.

You can search this and other forums for "PO400" to learn more.
http://www.benzworld.org/forums
http://www.mbworld.org/forums

In addition, on these engines an awful lot of codes related to things downstream of the MAS (mass air sensor) appear because it's the mass air sensor that's failed.

Former Member
Barry's picture
Hendersonville, NC

Vehicles
2001 E320 Sedan
1994 SL500

On my 2001 E320, the ODBII code points to the EGR Valve. Where is the EGR valve located on this engine? Is there an EGR line to clean out also?
Your help is appreciated.

BG Brown
Hendersonville, NC

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

On the M112, EGR is accomplished by an electric motor recirculating exhaust gasses through internal passages.

PO400 is almost always failure of that motor. It's an expensive fix.

Former Member
Barry's picture
Hendersonville, NC

Vehicles
2001 E320 Sedan
1994 SL500

Thanks.....OK, what does it take to correct? And how do I do it?

BG Brown
Hendersonville, NC