not-front-rule

2000 C230k - car in limp mode

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

2 replies [Last post]
ray54's picture

I have a 2000 C230k w/ 106k miles. A week ago my car got stuck in "limp mode" in that it did not shift to higher gears. I drove it in a small circle back home and tried to put it into park but I could not shift it past neutral (it would not go into reverse or park). I turned off the car and I was able to put it into park (i felt a slight lurch when I did so). When I turn the ignition, now there is slight delay before the engine turns on.

I took the battery out and put back in to reset the electronics, and now the check engine light is off, but the problems persists. I removed the pan, and there was no metal in it so I'm hoping this in not a major problem. When I had someone check with their computer, they said no codes were showing up.

Here are my questions:
1) Has anyone had this problem, or can anyone help navigate me to a solution?
2) If the codes were wiped out when I took out the battery, why didn't they return when I drove it around again? Why didn't the check engine light return?
3) Are there any precautions I should take when putting the pan back? Can I use the old fluid, gasket, etc?

I am a first time MB owner, and I have somewhat limited resources, so I would very much appreciate anyone's help.

Share this
ray54's picture

Re: 2000 C230k - car in limp mode

Also people have suggested changing the entire valve body, but this is a pricey option, and I do not want to try it if will not work. Maybe I could just change the control module or the electronic trans kit? Some else suggested that my shifter may be the problem and that is has nothing to do with my trans. Then again, these are all just shots in the dark.

ray54's picture

Re: 2000 C230k - car in limp mode

The closest dealer is pretty far away. And towing it that distance will be pricey, so if there is anyway to take care of this myself, I would greatly appreciate any insight.

thanks