not-front-rule

1999 E-320 Gas Cap Problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
respeer's picture
Pittsburgh, PA

Vehicles
1999 E320 Sedan 4matic

A few months back we had a problem getting the gas cap off the car and when we finally did it would not go back on. I went to the dealer and bought a new cap. The next day I had the same problem with the new cap. The service advisor at the dealer said the new cap was out of alignment and used two screwdrivers to lift the spring tension off the metal retainer and then twisted the plastic piece below it 90 degrees. This worked for a few times but has now failed again. Every time I need fuel I have to twist the cap and basically pry it off. Then do the screwdriver thing and all is well. The dealer mentioned a potential problem in the filler neck but I can't see in there.
Any ideas? :confused::

Share this

Bob Speer

Pittsburgh Section 1999 E 320 4 Matic

Former Member
RichardM98's picture

Vehicles
None
Re: 1999 E-320 Gas Cap Problem

I have read a post like this a couple of times in the last couple of years. I wonder if some slight design change has been made in the replacement caps.

It is possible to get the cap 'half on'. By that I mean the 'key' on one side is engaged but the one on the other it is riding on the end of the filler tube. I had this happen once and it was a bear to remove. I now insert the cap carefully and correctly before turning.

Sorry I don't have much to add. Good luck.

Former Member
jojocluna's picture
Walnut, CA

Vehicles
None

my 99 E300 has the same problem, I've also replaced it twice with the original gas cap and still have issues with it.

I now use the metal gas cap from a older model diesel mb which works good. At least I don't have to pry the cap off everytime I go for a refill.

respeer's picture
Pittsburgh, PA

Vehicles
1999 E320 Sedan 4matic

A trip back to the dealer revealed that the tabs inside the filler neck had been bent over. How?? God only knows.
They repaired them and replaced the gas cap. No more problems. ::cheers:

Bob Speer

Pittsburgh Section 1999 E 320 4 Matic

Former Member
RichardM98's picture

Vehicles
None

Thanks, Bob, for the followup. Many people don't bother and it seriously reduces the value of forums such as this. :Thumbs up: