not-front-rule

1998 E320 Sunroof

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
mbe320's picture

The sunroof has two issues.

1. The roof leaks into the headliner and works it way to the driver side rear passenger seat sound insulation and collects under the seat. Drains holes plugged? Location of drains holes?

2. The roof pivots( up and down) works ok but it when it slides horizontally it opens to about 6 " and stops. I can hear the motor humming away but the roof binds?. I can close the roof if I reverse direction.

I have ordered a shop manual and awaiting delivery. Thanks in advance for any input.

Share this
POS
POS's picture
Houston, TX

Vehicles
1998 E320 Wagon
Re: 1998 E320 Sunroof

Don't know about your drain holes, but the lack of rear movement is caused by faulty cables. They cost about $50 and need to be replaced; I just had the same issue.

mbe320's picture

Thanks for the info POS.

Former Member
BuyMBparts's picture
Atlanta, GA

Vehicles
1995 C280
1991 560SEC
1981 380SL
1969 280SEL

POS;135662 wrote:
Don't know about your drain holes, but the lack of rear movement is caused by faulty cables. They cost about $50 and need to be replaced; I just had the same issue.

The cables are part numbers 210 780 00 89 & 210 780 01 89 and I sell them new, Genuine Mercedes for $35.00 each.

Rusty Cullens buyMBparts, Inc.
1-800-741-5252
buyMBparts@gmail.com
www.buyMBparts.BIZ
www.buyEUROparts.BIZ
www.buyASIANparts.BIZ

e300d97 (not verified)
e300d97's picture

The DVD gives very good video instructions on how to remove the cables and reinstall. You will also need the two parts that cover the cable access holes. You will need two of these 210 782 01 31 (guides). One for Left and one for right. These keep the cable in line, if yours is like mine, once it opened 6 inches, there was a slight binding which caused the cable to pop out of the track. And now it will have a weak point.

RBAKER's picture

Same problem with the sunroof on my 1998 E320. Up and down works fine, but it will only go back a few inches. Motor works fine, but the cables are not moving it back. I have read a lot of posts that mention a video that shows how to reapir the sunroof, but so far all the links to it are dead.
Does anyone have an idea where I can find a copy or any other relevamt information on this.

any help would be greatly appreciated

Rick