not-front-rule

1998 C230 radio problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

6 replies [Last post]
kchristian219's picture

Hi, I have a 1998 c230, recently, the battery died (left the lights on). After getting into trunk and charging the battery, the radio unit won't work. The back light comes on and off when i push the on/off dial, but no function (radio/cd/weatherband)=no sound! The LED faceplate of the MB in-dash unit became all fuzzy and unreadable a couple of years ago, I knew my pre-set stations, etc, so this wasn't a problem. Now, even though the in-dash back light comes on...no function.

Called the dealer and they gave me a code...which i entered, several times, but no response. he mentioned something about seeing if the display says'enter code' but i can't read the display...regardless, code isn't working...i miss my music! any suggestions?

thanks so much,
kathleen

Share this
Don in Virginia's picture

Re: 1998 C230 radio problem

Maybe leave it on for an hour for it to reset. Then enter the code and press the "sc" button.

Scott Singer's picture
Baltimore, MD

Vehicles
None

You may need the separate booklet titled OPERATION GUIDE to get the code in properly, because after the proper code is entered then you need to press either the SCAN, SEEK or TUNE button to activate.
Also there are anti-theft procedures if you've entered too many incorrect codes.

I was reading on WIRED.com an article on how to repair a broken pixel on an LCD computer screen, why don't you search that site and maybe you can momentarily get a display going, never hurts to attempt.

Edward Ebel's picture
Saddle Brook, NJ

Vehicles
2003 CLK320
2000 E320 Sedan 4matic
1996 S320 LWB
1992 500SL

Does your radio have the "flip-down" cassette door? If so, is the door latched fully? Is there a light coming from the center of the volume control? When you press the volume control to turn the radio on, do you notice any change in the back-lighting (check this at night if you can). Is the any chance that you may have reversed the battery polarity when taking care of the dead battery issue?

Can you slide the radio out and tell me what radio model you have (Alpine or Becker)?

Ed - The Becker Rdio Guy

IamLostRU's picture

OK - I did

Years and years..and this time I definately did reverse the polarity on the jump.
The radio is dead as a doorknob (I understand the recode procedure - but it doesn't even light to code).
The fuel gage also dead.
Re-sync'ed the windows.
Not sure about anything else.

So, if I did the backward jump hookup caused the problem - please - how do i fix it?

Thanks,
Jeff

Villageidiot's picture

Bad News

A reverse polarity is bad news in any car. I don't know what you have, but the only real fix is to replace the parts that don't work anymore. Sorry.

IamLostRU's picture

May be lucky

As the only things that aren't working are the gas gauge and the stereo.
The stereo isn't powering at all.
But again, everything else seems A-OK.
All the fuses in the 3 boxes, including #12 which exists only when a stereo system was included, are fine.
But reading other threads I see there is commonly a fuse behind the head unit of the stereo.
I'm guessing that is blown and that same circuit is somehow the one running the gauge.

To get the head unit out takes a little tool which I ordered ($8).
You can do it with flat screwdrivers but it may scratch the dash...why bother.
Hopefully, it's as I'm thinking.  Just sort of makes sense.
If the system really went polar...I'd be having problems all over.