not-front-rule

1995 E320 Viscous Fan Clutch Replacement

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

14 replies [Last post]
mmanevbg's picture

Hi there,
i need to reclace my viscous fan clutch on my 95 E320 Wagon.
My question is do i need a special tool?
Also can somebody please tell me step by step what to do once i remove the fan blades, serpentine belt and have an access to the clutch.
Thanks a lot in advance!

Milen

Share this

rogo's picture

Re: 1995 E320 Viscous Fan Clutch Replacement

Here you are.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

dan holm's picture
New Canton, VA

Vehicles
1995 E320 Wagon

I've been in there a few times. It's not a big deal.
As you can see in the sheet Robert so kindly attached, you will not need to remove the belt. The tool, #1 in the diagram can be made from a stiff rod bent to the looks in the picture. It's purpose is to hold the pulley, thus allowing removal of fan and clutch. Be careful with the new clutch as they are tender!

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

You are well advised to get the one special tool that's really necessary, a stubby 8mm hex (allen) socket, #7 in the image Robert posted (W103 589 01 09 00). That screw (the "45 Nm" one) is always super tight, and if you muck up the hex socket in its head, you're in deep sneakers. The tool is under $10 at any dealer, fits a 3/8" wrench. I have always had to use a pipe to extend the ratchet handle - not so much for torque, but for clearance for my hand (it's tight in there)

I agree, do NOT remove the belt until that bolt is loosened, because holding the pulley is not trivial. You might do it by hand with the belt, but no way without. Once you have it cracked loose, loosen the belt.

Some may say it's better to remove the 4 smaller hex-head bolts to get the fan blade off first, but that's not what MB recommends. Get the tool and do it with one bolt.

Some tips:
Get a pizza box (or similar cardboard) to cover the radiator fins; this will save your hands considerable wear (and the fins, too)
Make a special tool to remove the center bolt, it'll make your life easier, trust me. See below for details. Works for installation, too.
Take your time. This is a good job for a beginner DIY, akin to an oil change.
Make SURE the clutch is installed facing the right way! Hard to mess up, but possible.

The "special tool" for the center bolt: I make one of these every time I need to do this job. The idea is to make a little 'crank' mechanism that lets you spin the bolt fast and easy, once it's loose. The alternative is trying to use a 3/8" ratchet to turn it - 1/4 turn at a time, and with the bolt so loose that you have to hold the socket too. Not fun.

See the drawing. You have 2 long thin strips of wood or plastic (I have even used cardboard). The fastener at "A" is loose enough so the short arm can swing around freely. The square at "B" holds the 8mm socket mentioned above.

To use it, move the long stick in and out so the socket spins in a circle (like a steam locomotive wheel), this gets the bolt out in a few seconds; spinning the bolt in when reinstalling is also simplified.

Clutch Wrench.bmp
mmanevbg's picture

Thank you very much Guys,
you are just waesome. Ii am pretty good fixing everything on my Benz so after your explanations i will be ok.
Thanks again!

Milen

Clatterclatter's picture

I've done mine with just an 8mm hex socket and a standard 3/8" ratchet. Unfasten the fan shroud and push it towards the motor. Need skinny wrists with this method. Place the cardboard to protect the radiator and reach down between the shroud and radiator using the wrench.

mmanevbg's picture

Hi there,
today my new clutch arrived. I try to unscrew the bolt but the pulley is turning even though the belt is still on. A friend of mine try to hold it by hand but it did not work.I do not have the special locking tool. I might hav eto buy it from the dealer. But i do not see where i have to attach the tool. I do not see any holes behind the pulley. Does the bolt is regular or reverse thread?
Can somebody explain that to me or possibly send me a pics or a graph.

Thanks!

rogo's picture

I take the belt off and use a strap wrench on the pulley. It is pretty much universal as it fits all makes and models.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

The holder tool for your M104 engine looks like the end of a pipe wrench - a long handle with a sideways slot in it. The slot fits over the end/edge of the pulley and clamps on it as the pulley is turned.

I have used an adjustable pipe wrench to hold the pulley, but this resulted in minor damage to the pulley edge, enough so that I feared belt damage. I took the pulley off to file down the bumps. You can probably do the same thing, but use a thin piece of soft metal (aluminum) to cover and protect the pulley.

The jaws of the pipe wrench do not go on the diameter of the pulley, but fit over the lip of the pulley, with the jaws opened only about 3/8" and facing the rear of the engine. You slide the jaws over the width of the pulley and pull the wrench sideways (in the direction the belt runs) to clamp it in place and hold the pulley. If you put a strip of 1/16" aluminum over the pulley (in sort of a "C" shape) it'll protect the pulley surface.

Wish I could show a photo of this...

mmanevbg's picture

Hi everybody,

thanks for your suggestions. I was able to fabricate the tool myself and i locked the pulley.
But more serious issue came up. The bolt holding the clutch start to mess up, even though i have the mercedes tool 103 589 01 09 00. I am affraid to continue because i do not want to mess it up completely. I insert a regular 8mm hex key and seems that it fits right, but....should i continue????
Any suggestions about that. Also...what to do if i mess it up completely. What are my options?

Thanks a lot!

Milen

rogo's picture

If you are trying to keep costs down, I would pull the radiator at this point. This will allow you to look into the head of the screw and see how much it is damaged. If not bad, you will now have room to tap the wrench into the screw head, ensuring a snug fit. When removing this or most bolts on a Mercedes engine, do not apply force evenly. Use a long enough wrench and rip it off. If you don't you may round off the heads of the bolts, nuts or whatever fastener you are working on.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

mmanevbg's picture

Thanks Robert,
actually look like it is pretty damaged. I looked it up with a mirror.
Do i have to remove the AC radiator as well?
Do you know any tool bits which might be helpful in this situation?

Thanks!

rogo's picture

The condensor (AC radiator) should be alright as it is. The trick is in finding the right tool. Sometimes the hex bit can be pounded in with a hammer as long as there is no metal in the bottom of the recess.

Another method, if there is enough spce, is to use a long sharp chisel and keep beating on it in a counterclockwise direction while holding the rest of the stuff still.

One more remote possibility is a removal tool sold be Sears and others. If there is enough space, it will grip the outside of the bolt head and remove it that way. Again, timidity is not your friend when loosening this bolt.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

If that bolt is farkled, the next step is to remove the four bolts holding the pulley on. A real pain, but it can be done.

Once it all comes out, (obviously) replace that bolt...

mmanevbg's picture

Thanks Don350SL,
if i remove the four bolts on the pulley, do you think that the axle with the bolt holding the fan clutch will come off. If it can this will be the easiest thing to do for me.
Thanks!