not-front-rule

1991 300TE 4 Matic Transmission

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

3 replies [Last post]
respeer's picture
Pittsburgh, PA

Vehicles
1999 E320 Sedan 4matic

Two issues
When I start to backup in our 1991 300TE 4 Matic I get a clicking sound that appears to be coming from the right front. It continues while I back up the 50 feet to the garage. Any ideas?
When I select reverse and then back to D there is a pause while the transmission engages in each gear. Otherwise the tranny works fine. Shifts smooth etc.
Any suggestions ( other than major $$ investment) will be appreciated.

Share this

Bob Speer

Pittsburgh Section 1999 E 320 4 Matic

lkchris's picture
Albuquerque, NM

Vehicles
2007 GL320 CDI 4MATIC

I think the pause is normal.

rogo's picture

This is tough to diagnose from a distance. Jack up the right front wheel. Wiggle it, wobble it and shake it. If that checks out, remove the wheel and check all around the sterring knuckle, brake pads and rotor. See if something is falling off or if something extra is hanging on.

Virginia Beach VA

87 300SDL
95 E300D

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

A wheel weight hitting the caliper?