not-front-rule

1990 560SEC - Used OEM Rims and Lug Nuts

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

9 replies [Last post]
DADamascus's picture
New York, NY

Vehicles
2011 E350 4MATIC
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
1990 560SEC
1988 560SL

I've been looking to buy a set of used OEM rims and lug nuts for my 1990 560SEC. I understand the correct OEM rim size is 205/65-15. How do I ensure that the rims and lug nuts I buy are correct and authentic (i.e., size and offset are correct and they are not aftermarkets). Is there a stamp on them that I should be looking for (i.e. "Size: _, Offset: __, Mercedes Part # __ (or updated Mercedes Part #))? If not, is there some other way to ensure that I am purchasing correct and authentic used rims and lug nuts for this vehicle?

Share this

2011 E350 - Iridium Silver Metallic/Black - 28K miles
2010 GLK350 - Palladium Silver Metallic/Black Anthracite - 46K miles
1988 560SL - Signal Red/Palomino - 206K miles
1990 560SEC - Signal Red/Creme Beige - 84K miles
2005 GMC Sierra 1500 Pickup Truck - Charcoal Metallic/Grey - 64K Miles
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Your best bet would be eBay or a MB wrecking yard to find original OEM wheels for the 560SEC. They shared wheels with the 560SEL and other cars, so they are easy to find and inexpensive. You can have them refurbished/repainted for a moderate sum and they will look factory fresh.

As far as lug bolts for the car, I'd recommend you get those at the dealer. The part number for the lugbolt is 124 400 07 70 and you will need 20 of them. MB lug bolt is of a unique design in the automotive industry in that it's head has a rounded profile rather than square as you see with other car makes. This provides good contact and surface area on the wheel for optimal tightening and clamping power. I believe that generally MB factory bolts have the star cast into the top of the head of the bolt.

Each bolt will cost you around $7-8 new.

Here's an example of a 560SEC lug bolt made by FEBI Bilstein (a quality OEM):

Aftermarket lug bolts are not recommended unless they are proven to be from a high-quality manufacturer.

Be sure to get the plastic bolt head covers as well. These help with the aesthetics when used with the factory wheels.... the part number for these is 124 401 00 09 and they are very inexpensive.

MB factory wheels usually have the star cast into them. You will also see a moniker cast into them that reads something like "7Jx15H2" and "Made in Germany" and "ET15". The ET is the offset number in mm, but I don't know what the offset is for the factory SEC wheels as I've never had factory wheels on my SEC...but I know it will be a low number around 15 give or take 10mm.

To the best of my knowledge, the part number for the 560SEC wheel is 126 400 30 02 and the current price (each) new from the dealer is around $575. You ought to be able to get a nice original unrefurbished set for around $200-250.

If you insist on factory stuff, just ensure that the MB star is on the part. That's the best way to tell factory from aftermarket, even if the aftermarket manufacturer actually produces the wheels for the factory (as they do in many cases).

Good luck!

Beautiful cars, by the way! Love the matching colors ! I plan to have a 560SL to match my SEC later this year.

Cheers,
Gerry

DADamascus's picture
New York, NY

Vehicles
2011 E350 4MATIC
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
1990 560SEC
1988 560SL

Thank you for the detailed response Gerry. That was helpful. I checked the spare and I also took off one wheel as a sample. They both had the Mercedes logo stamped on the reverse side with Part No. "1264004102", "65Jx15H2" and "ET215". Perhaps the part number was changed because the one that I have is different from the one you listed ("1264004102" vs. 1264003002" )? Also, the offset seems to be considerably higher than what you listed ("ET215" vs. "ET15")? The 5 lug bolts I sampled did not have the Mercedes logo stamped on them nor any identification whatsoever; however, they did have the snap-on end caps. Thus, should I assume that my current: (a) wheels with an offset of 215 (which seems high) are OEM and correct for a 1990 560SEC and (b) lug bolts may (or may not) be OEM?

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

215 is probably actually "21.5". A 215 offset would be physically impossible !!! About the highest offset I've ever seen on an MB stock from the factory is ET35, for my 1994 E500; the lowest I've seen are the Lorinser aftermarket wheels on my SEC which are ET11.

The "65Jx15H2" is definitely in reality 6.5Jx15H2 -- 6.5 is the width of the wheel in inches; 15 is the diameter in inches.

It is also highly likely that the reason the part numbers are different are because the number was superseded, as many MB part numbers are over the years. Often a part number will be superseded 4 or 5 times over the course of 10 or 20 years !!

I have seen "factory" bolts with and without the MB logo embossed. If you are concerned about getting factory lugs I'd get them from the dealer; otherwise what you have (if the correct length) should be fine.

Cheers,
Gerry

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

I have a used set of SEC OEM wheels I took off my 87 SEC. The OEM wheels are 7x15 and not 6.5x15. My wheels are chromed and in decent shape. They have used tires (that you would not want). The wheels are straight with some minor curb rash. You would have to get them refinished and either rechromed or finsihed in the OEM grey finish. I have an extra wheel you could use as a spare. You are welcome to them - you just have to pay full cost of shipping and tire removal - otherwise the wheels are free. Obviously you would have to refinish them.

I replaced my OEM wheels with Lorinser wheels that were period to the SEC's.

Al Lydon
Atlanta, GA

parodecki's picture
Palm City, FL

Vehicles
None
Lug Bolts

DADamascus,

If you're still looking for the lug bolts, try: http://www.diyautoparts.com/.

The MB dealer will tell you these bolts (the long, 84mm ones) have been discontinued... they only want to sell you the newer "short" lug bolts.

I got the long ones from diyautoparts for $6 each.

Paul Rodecki
Road Star section

DADamascus's picture
New York, NY

Vehicles
2011 E350 4MATIC
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
1990 560SEC
1988 560SL

alydon wrote:
I have a used set of SEC OEM wheels I took off my 87 SEC. The OEM wheels are 7x15 and not 6.5x15. My wheels are chromed and in decent shape. They have used tires (that you would not want). The wheels are straight with some minor curb rash. You would have to get them refinished and either rechromed or finsihed in the OEM grey finish. I have an extra wheel you could use as a spare. You are welcome to them - you just have to pay full cost of shipping and tire removal - otherwise the wheels are free. Obviously you would have to refinish them.

Al Lydon
Atlanta, GA

Thank you for your offer Al; however, at this time I am thinking that I would prefer to stick with the 6.5 wheels used on the later 126's.

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
SEC Wheels

I have a set of OEM wheels, beautiful condition - $400 would buy them. They're off a 91 SEC. Let me know, and thanks -

DADamascus's picture
New York, NY

Vehicles
2011 E350 4MATIC
2010 GLK350 4MATIC
1990 560SEC
1988 560SL

After pricing out the professional refinishing of the original wheels on my 1990 560SEC (about $140/wheel not including transportation/shipping in either direction), I found that it was only $240/wheel (all shipping inclusive delivered right to my door) to buy from the Mercedes dealer with my MBCA discount, brand new, made in Germany, Mercedes factory stamped, OEM wheels (not aftermarkets) They arrived this week, each one in a nice official Mercedes blue & silver "holigramed" box.

Any suggestions for preparation of the wheels prior to installation that will keep them looking good... i.e., should I wax them with something in particular before they see any action in order to keep them looking new?

New Wheel Boxed.jpg

BENZITCH's picture

alydon wrote:

Al Lydon
Atlanta, GA

PM sent to your in box

Thanks
Bruce
BENZITCH