not-front-rule

1989 560 sl /ABS light/ high rpms

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

4 replies [Last post]
Former Member
John Banker's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL

My cars ABS light came on, and when it did the rpms went up to 1500-2000/ This is my first time here. please let me know if anyone has had this problem. I thumbed thur the posts and did see something similar with a 560 sel.I am not a mechanic. it said the air idle controll may be the problem? I saw a photo of that part in my search and could not find it under the hood? This all started last week after crossing a flooded roadway? Can you tell me on a repair shop on LI ,NY. This car has been fine since I purchased it from a salvage yard 5 yrs. ago. The mileage is 128,000. Are there books that show the locations of certain parts? Any help will be great! Thanks John ////////////////

Share this
Walrus's picture

I suspect a bad OVP relay. It is located above the fuse panel, behind the kick-panel. It is a rectangular relay with a fuse mounted atop its case...

Former Member
John Banker's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL
Thank You !

I did see that relay. I only remember it because of the fuse you mentioned. Once again, Thanks. Any problems and I will get back. There is so much info on this site for us to tap into. John/////////// :)

Former Member
John Banker's picture

Vehicles
1989 560SL
Success!

You were right on the money!!! I just put that relay in and ABS light is off. The high idle problem is gone also. Thanks again for your time and knowledge. John////////

Walrus's picture

Glad to help... Enjoy your ride!