not-front-rule

1989 300TE With Fuel Problem

Welcome to the Mercedes-Benz Club of America Forums
Here, you'll find members en masse who can talk, guide, answer or listen to your Mercedes-Benz related questions and comments. Participation in the forums is free to Club members. If you're a guest of this site, you'll have access to our read-only discussions. Like what you see? Join the Club to get full Q&A privileges. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out our FAQ page.  To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.

Forum Jump

7 replies [Last post]
System Admin
monarchd's picture

Okay, I have a 1989 300TE Wagon that has had a fuel problem since July of 2004. When it started it was just stalling at red lights, then it got real bad one day on the way home. I could only drive about 20 miles per hour for around 6 miles when it stalled and would not start back up.

I got it home and looked at it, but never got it working because of funds. I could take out the spark plugs and let it air-out for a few hours and then put them back in and it would start right up for a few minutes but then stall again without starting until I removed the plugs again.

NOW...I took the Fuel Distributor of the 1989 300TE Wagon off today, blew it and the injector lines out with my air hose, and made sure that all of the engine compartment fuel hoses were blown out too. I put the fuel distributor back on and started the car right up. it idled for 30 minutes with a few misses, because of plugs I am assuming, but stayed good idle for that long.

I decided to try and pull forward and backword without applying gas and it worked, I then tried to back it out of the drive, placing a load on the gas peddle, and it stalled. It did however start right back up and continued to idle. It will start every time now, but will stall when I try to put a load on the peddle. ***** THE catalitic convertor DID NOT get red hot while it was idling today.

Do I have some real problems here or can this be fixed quick. OH YA, When the car would only go 20 miles per hour back in July...the lower rubber of the rear bumper got melted a little; is that bad?

Thank you all very much!

David

Share this
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
300 te woes

Hi dave, Its Dave....lol... Go look at your ign coil. Take it out, (first disconnect the neg side of battery) If it has a sheet metal laminated stamping center section design, and see any white powdery stuff near the metal bracket part, go order a new coil from autohausaz.com Make sure your original matches their pic, there is a left hand and right hand bracket mount difference. Use your orig part number off the coil. If you want to be sure its the coil, hook up a used plug to #1 cylinder but first break off the bendable electrode.(this will show you how far the spark can jump) BUT! The color is important... YOU NEED A HOT WHITE BLUISH color from the arc. If its redish orangish, your coil is weak. I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. Dont monkey around with anything else right now, but do yourself a big favor and put a new OVP relay in if you havent already. RHS of battery, next to Computors. Order a wire set and maybe cap and rotor while you are at it. BTW, the bracket that the rotor mounts on, I ve heard goes bad. It gets loose then sort of strips out. Check the center bolt on it for tightness when you have your cap off. When re-installing the new coil, rough up and polish the metal pods on the cars coil mounting holes with 220 wet-dry paper, you want good ground, and paper up all the ground wires that go through the coils mounting bolts. Use a nut driver on the coils leads so you dont snap em off. let me know how you make out...... Good luck gettin the wires back into the plastic guide garnish if you have that!!
PS: The dead giveaway here is, the airing out thing you have been doing that works. During your no starts, the ign spark is weak, and breaking down even more during compression. When this occurs, the plugs get wet, (your fuel system is healthy) and then they are shorting out and wont fire at all. You let the engine rest, the fuel evaps and the plugs will try and fire again, or you take them out to dry and maybe she starts, right? On a damp day, you wont get anything at all Im guessing? Get a coil.... $66.00
dave Rose
"93" MB 300 TE 4matic
"85" Volvo 740 Turbo wagon
"85" Limited Edition Gold Wing 1200t

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

dave_rose69 wrote:
Hi dave, Its Dave....lol... Go look at your ign coil. If you want to be sure its the coil, hook up a used plug to #1 cylinder but first break off the bendable electrode.(this will show you how far the spark can jump) BUT! The color is important... YOU NEED A HOT WHITE BLUISH color from the arc. If its redish orangish, your coil is weak. I JUST WENT THROUGH THIS. Dont monkey around with anything else right now, but do yourself a big favor and put a new OVP relay in if you havent already. RHS of battery, next to Computors.

Good morning Dave :) I am going to contact my mercedes guy first thing on Monday morning! He is quite good, but has never actually seen the car. He is the person I got the fuel pump from for $100.00 for the SL I have. He has a Fuel Distributor for $300.00 too, and I was waiting until I had the money to get it. If it is just the coil then I'll see if he has one.

I did not even think of the coil being bad though! I hope that's all it is. I need to get the rear muffler too as it is completely gone! it does not sound like it is gone, as the car still runs quiet.

What does an OVP Relay do? Also, is there a place I can get button covers? All my buttons have the decals rubbed off due to to much cleaning, but they still operate correctly.

Thank you millions!!!

David Parker

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture
Dealer?????

Hiya dave, Whats this I hear? THE DEALER? Have you gone mad man?LOL... Pumps? Fuel Pumps? What????? They never go bad.....(well sometimes they do)
If you are going to the dealer for parts, you are either very rich, or crazy!!! That link for parts I sent ya is great! Im sure the dealer is going to get like 225.00 bucks for a coil. Its only 66.00 on line, just put one in yesterday on my own car and its FIXED! Maybe he will lend you a known good used one, and if thats the problem, then maybe promise him you'll buy the new one from him...(BUT DONT) Id give him 10 bucks cash for the loaned coil just to try it. (Oh I forgot to tell you Im jewish lol) The infamous OVP relay...
This little puppy is designed to instantly disconnect the power on two or more very expensive engine management computers if your voltage regulator or alternator goes south, as in "OVER VOLTAGE". Some people use their MB to help jump start another car? Dont even think about it....The OVP relay is notorious for failing whereby the solder terminals inside of them give out, and the fuse holders go weak etc.... Get a new one from autohausaz. The Ign coil can be easily changed in 20 mins, so its a first place thing to do.... Clean up the ground wires around the coil too along with the back mount on the car with 320 sand paper. Write me on how you make out. Im a decent trouble shooter, & maybe Ill get your ole betsy running for you again....
dave.....

MVC-002Sbresized800x600.JPG MVC-004Sdresize800x600.JPG
Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

dave_rose69 wrote:
Hiya dave, Whats this I hear? THE DEALER? Have you gone mad man?LOL... Pumps? Fuel Pumps? What????? They never go bad.....(well sometimes they do)
If you are going to the dealer for parts, you are either very rich, or crazy!!! That link for parts I sent ya is great! Im sure the dealer is going to get like 225.00 bucks for a coil.

NO, no, no! I said I have a Mercedes Guy...not a dealer! He does nothing but work on mercedes from his shop in East Nashville, Tennessee; Very Affordable! I have a 1972 350SL See Images that had been sitting in a field for over 4 years; I purchased the fuel pump from Henry, my MB guy for $100.00, and put it on the SL...and it started right up and I drove it home. He also has the fuel distributor for my 300TE for $300.00, if that is the problem. I called him today, and he said that he has a coil for my wagon that he will sell me for $25.00. He also stated that if the coil was not the problem, that I could return it to him for a refund. He also stated that if I did purchase the fuel distributor for the wagon and it did not fix the problem, then I could return it too for a refund.

I also have a neighbor that is a sales rep for an imports parts warehouse. I purchased all of the tune-up parts for the SL, retail around $300.00, from him for $124.60 including taxes.

I really enjoyed seeing the images of that beautiful wagon of yours; where did you get those rims? Have you seen my wagon? It has been a few years since I took those images but it is still in good shape, I just need to get the rear muffler.

Well, gotta rush.

David Parker

Anonymous
Anonymous's picture

Hiya Dave,
Ok man, youre on the right track...Glad youre not dealer bound. Im sure your coil is weak, after all the hundreds of threads and stories Ive studied about these 300 series, Ill bet ya thats it. Remember the bluish white color you need from the spark as it jumps that gap... I hope you also have OEM plugs in there, and not some platinum snazzys with a resisitor...Thats a no-no...
Let us know how youre making out... As I mentioned, my 4 matic was layed up for almost two months til I chucked that lousy old sheet metal center body coil....
Oh, those rims came with the car.... You know I paid 5700.00 bucks for her, but have put in around 900.00 more so far.... And everything works on the car except for the cruise control., Its my next thing to fix on her...
dave......

Rey Barry's picture
Charlottesville, VA

Vehicles
1989 260E
Move the thread

What has this to do with SLs? When misplaced threads like this aren't moved to the proper forum, it gives the appearance no one is watching the forums, or cares, which is worse.

A 450SL is like driving Cary Grant
I loved that car until age caught up with me.